GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washed the truck real good this weekend and noticed an issue with my driver front wheel. The chrome is pulling away from the rim like a hubcap. It's only on the one rim, and I plan to call the dealer, but any ideas what would cause this? The rims are chromed aluminum, but I never thought the chrome would come off the rim like that. I haven't pulled the rim to look at it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Sounds like you have the infamous "chrome clad" rims. Basically a plastic "chrome" hubcap bonded to an aluminum rim. Post a pic if you can.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I just used your borla exhaust video to confirm which wheels you have on your truck, and those particular wheels are not true chrome. Starting on the trucks in 2009 (and cars and small SUVs earlier), GM started using chrome wheel covers that can actually look really convincing, but are just covers. Your wheels are just aluminum wheels with the chrome cladding over top of them. IIRC correctly, the only thing holding the chrome cladding on is a whole bunch of double-sided sticky foam behind it. If they are separating, I would definitely try to get them fixed under warranty because you don't want to have to deal with trying to keep loose chrome cladding on the wheels should they separate more in the future.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Aah, nice. I looked in his gallery but didn't see any pics of his wheels. It's a shame that G.M. went this way because the chrome plated aluminum rims look so much better. The other thing is that under the chrome clad rims there is quite a good looking aluminum rim under there. I've thought about picking some up and removing the cladding and polishing them up and clear coating them for a winter set, just to be different.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Is GM still using these cladded rims? I have chrome rims on my 11 Sierra. Or at least I hope they are chrome.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hah, just checked my window sticker and sure enough they're chrome clad. Adam: I like your idea if I ever get a nice set of rims/tires for the summer. In the meantime, I'll probably take it to the dealer to see what they'll do.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Is GM still using these cladded rims? I have chrome rims on my 11 Sierra. Or at least I hope they are chrome.
Sorry to say, but yours are also chrome-clad. The only true chrome wheels currently available on the Sierra is the Denali wheels. The GM accessory wheels from dealerships are all real chrome, but not the ones from the factory. Now that I look into it more, the only vehicles on that platform that have real chrome wheels from the factory rather than a dealer accessory are the Yukon Denali, Sierra Denali, and Escalade. Even the shiny ones on the Tahoe and Avalanche are just polished aluminum.

I have found the thread I was talking about earlier about the chrome-clad rims, and have some pictures of the rather nice wheel underneath. For the sake of citing sources, these pics have been borrowed from FSC.

Factory Chrome-Clad rims on a Silverado:

Behind the chrome covers:

Powdercoated Black:

On a truck:

The biggest challenge when taking the chrome cladding off seems to be finding a suitable center cap.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice, thanks for the pics. The center caps are plastic too, but why not paint them?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The centercaps can't be used because they are only plastic, and are styled to match the plastic covering. Without the covering, they will stick out farther than the wheel.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crazy that they'd use plastic center caps. Then again, I'm the guy who has the plastic rims. :)

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Thank you GM for being so cheap and passing the buck to the Hard working Customer who in turn Bails you out...

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah and then recently announcing that they'd be doing better if we could pitch in a little more tax at the gas pump. Go figure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just tried to trade my Canyon in offered me $3000 less than value “because of the rims”. I pulled up multiple posts about issues with gmc’s oem rims. Also an email with a open issue from gmc about the issuess with the rims that most customers are having... they laughed like I was crazy and I got up and walked out...

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I do spray after washing the vehicle with silicone safe for painted/plastic materials on the rims and other bright metal. get it at home depot for $4 A CAN .. keeps the metal from damage also tires stay in good shape no side wall cracks .

spray on a cloth and wipe down the cleaned rims so not on the rotor...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts