GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with how this CAI performs on a 2007 5.3L yukon? Does it improve fuel economy? Will I see a HP gain? My goal is to improve fuel economy.

GM seems very tight lipped on the performance specs for this accessory. Is that because it just looks pretty and doesn't do anything or maybe because they haven'ty documented it?

If I install an after market model, will that void the warranty on my 07 yukon?

·
Registered
533 Posts
it pretty works the same as a volant cold air intake i have one of these sitting in my shop cause here is the clinch with warranties they really frown on people with intakes that have the oiled filter they claim is can mess up the mass sensor in turn mess up your tranny settings ..where a dry filter doesnt have the same thing since its dry. your warranty should be ok if you stay with a dry filter. i run the k&n 77 series and i found out the dealership showed me in writing how they handle the warranties when oil filtered filters are present.

if your really trying to get the miles for the buck ..seriously look into a tune you can have the truck tuned for more hp or tuned for more mpg ....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
No the best part about hand held tuners is you can tune it back to factory settings if you need to bring it in. I have the Hypertech Max Energy programmer and I love it. :great:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with how this CAI performs on a 2007 5.3L yukon? Does it improve fuel economy? Will I see a HP gain? My goal is to improve fuel economy.

GM seems very tight lipped on the performance specs for this accessory. Is that because it just looks pretty and doesn't do anything or maybe because they haven'ty documented it?

If I install an after market model, will that void the warranty on my 07 yukon?

I've got a Airraid CAI and a TB spacer as well. It didn't do a thing to my warrenty. In fact, they sell them at the dealerships up here. There so common that they have just accepted them. With a 3" exaust and a programmer I'm getting about 2-3 mpg better them stock and about 40 xtra horses with the 5.3. But everyone I spoke to said you need to do the whole "air in air out" thing to get the best bang for your buck!

As far as the tuner goes, I just had the last warrent inspection done on my '04 about 6 weeks ago. I put the stock settings back in before I brought the truck in. Took but a couple of minutes. Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the info Crane. Just a quick question. How much HP does the 04 version of the 5.3L put out. The 07 does 320 so I am wondering if your gains will transfer to mine. Also, I am getting about 14 MPG in the city and 17 to 18 on the highway at about 70 MPH. What kind of fuel economy where you seeing prior to the airraid CAI?

Also, when you say air in / air out does that mean that the exhaust needs to be upgraded to see the full potential? It sounds like you don't have the exhaust installed and still saw the improvements you listed. Is that correct? I would be psyched to get that kind of results on mine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey thanks for the info Crane. Just a quick question. How much HP does the 04 version of the 5.3L put out. The 07 does 320 so I am wondering if your gains will transfer to mine. Also, I am getting about 14 MPG in the city and 17 to 18 on the highway at about 70 MPH. What kind of fuel economy where you seeing prior to the airraid CAI?

Also, when you say air in / air out does that mean that the exhaust needs to be upgraded to see the full potential? It sounds like you don't have the exhaust installed and still saw the improvements you listed. Is that correct? I would be psyched to get that kind of results on mine.

Your numbers for mpg on a stock truck are pretty much the same as I was getting. An '04 silverado with a 5.3 made 295 hp stock. Not sure on the lbs/ft though. I do have an after market exaust as well. Chev's that year came with a 2.5" exaust and a very restrictive muffler. Jump up to 3" but keep a single out if you live in a very hill area and need tow. Helps off the line. A single out will keep your torque lower in the revs. Duel pipes look cooler though, and raises your power up into the revs a little more. I do think that you need to all three things to get the best bang for your buck. 20.5 mpg on my last trip ( 90 highway/10 city with a rain storm). I was keeping to the speed limits using cruise. Limits here are 110 khp. Thats about 70mph I think? I'm happy with it and all warrenty aproved. One last piece of advice, get a programmer. There worth every penny. Mine a power pup from bully dog but there lots to choose from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts