GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am a little low on power steering fluid. Trying to figure out whether a leak has taken place or whether it has somehow burned off, or evaporated?

Anyways, i am wondering, the capacities req's on alldata are stating to use OEM GM Powersteering fluid.

I know from other vehicles, specifically Honda, that they absolutely REQUIRE OEM power steering fluid and that other fluids may make the steering pump act funny.

That being said, do the 99-06 model Silverados require OEM GM power steering fluid? Or is there something high quality but non-oem one can purchase that will mix with my unknown fluid in the reservoir currently to top me off until i can figure out the cause of the reason why i'm low.

Also, if anyone has any reccomendations on how to asses whether a pump is leaking or burning fluid or otherwise damaged i would appreciate it. The pump is neither whining, whirring nor grinding. It is otherwise in the same working condition it always has been, except that it is near the Low mark on the dipstick.

Thanks guys,
Bowtied

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I use prestone GM power steering fluid with seal conditioner. at the 7 yr mark I replace the fluid.

I had a leak on my 2000 it was the input steering shaft box seal. cost $10. seal was damaged because it was not installed correct or the shaft damaged it when installed.

still not leaking over a few years.

output seal will leak if you hit stuff with the front wheels..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts