GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '91 Sub with no roof rack. I would like to put a safari/tall style roof rack on the truck and then line the edges of it with off-road lights. Anyone have a suggestion as to what rack I should buy? Also, I have no clue where I would run the wiring for the off-road lights into the cab. I've never done off-road lights before, so I have no clue how I should run the power for the lights. Any insight as to how to get the wriing in the truck with the minimal chance of water leaks would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Yeah, I think the look of a nice light bar or roof-mounted lights looks great on the suburban! Where to go and what to get depends a lot on what you're looking to have when you're done.

Do you want something where the lights are in a fixed position with an extra switch on your dash for your lights? How many lights are you looking for? How big?

Getting power to them isn't that tough if you're using a light bar. You run the wires through the light bar and bolt that to your roof. You'll need to get the wires to some power, you you should do it right becuase you'll have a good amount of current going there. I've done this project a few times and I always seem to go back to KC lights with a lightbar designed by them. You can get them at most 4x4 shops, etc.

I actually have the oppty to talk with some of these distributors to get some discounts to members on this site. I'm really trying to get some deals worked out. Hopefully I can do that soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had my eye on some Hella off-road lights for some time. I plan to mount them to the edge of the roof rack and basically line the entire roof-rack with halls, to be powered by a few switches, one for each direction they face. I do realize I will be pulling a TON of power, so I'll probably go with something along the line of 12 gauge wire to power them with. I just can't seem to figure out how I'm going to get the physical wires into the truck. It's looking like I'd have to drill a hole in the roof and take the headliner down temporarily to run the lines, but I'd rather not go that route. It's just begging to leak. Any ideas on that?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I've drilled holes, never had a leak. Just remember to hit it with some good silicone sealant and you'll be good to go. There may be better ways to do it and seal it, but it's always worked for me.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Having installed hundreds of cellular and two-way radio antennas, I can say that drilling a hole through the roof is no big deal. Be sure to know what's on the other side of where you are drilling and put a stop on the drill bit so that it doesn't puncture the headliner. When running power through a hole in sheetmetal, be sure to insulate it properly so that you don't have a problem later. Radio Shack has grommets that will keep the wire from chafing. Add silicone for a water seal and you're all set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts