GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site. I just retired, myself , and my 2003 Z71 Suburban , 266k mile. We are going to miss it; a lot of sport tournaments , highway miles and lots of beach time. Picked up a mint condition 2011 with 65k miles and hope to add many more memories. Our problem is the passenger side 2nd row bucket seat back folded down but I am unable to flip the entire seat forward nor return seat back to upright position. I guess the last time it was returned to the down position the latches didn't fully seat correctly. I am unable to release the seat to attempt to force the seat down so the latches seat properly and release the handles to function properly. I tried to plop on the lower half in an effort to seat the latches but no luck. Any suggestions ?

· Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
2,346 Posts
Can you get a picture of the mechanism and cams where all the operating cables come together? I have a feeling you have a broken or bent piece since, in all their wisdom, the cam that operates the seats is usually plastic...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jacob , thnx for the reply. The under side of the seat is surrounded by a plastic housing. My '03 was wide open, everything visible and easily reached under the seats. . I will attempt to get into it further when time allows. Its probably a stretched cable or the latches didn't probably seat correctly. was just curious if this was a common problem. I will , if able , get a picture under the seats . Regarding their infinite wisdom : their making a headlight bulb replacement a project in itself : instead of just lifting 2 rods on either side of the housing and sliding the assembly right out on an '03, , an owner now has to get under and behind the fender well guard , pull the lower portion of the bumper out and off then navigate the housing off the vehicle. The hood feels like it should be on a small foreign car whereas the '03 had an insulated hood with some weight to it Progress? I D K. Guess it has to do with lowering the overall weight of the vehicle to maintain the EPA requirements for mpg over the years.. Like I said, I will continue to work on it. For now , all passengers must enter and exit 2nd and 3rd row from the drivers side. Thankfully all the kiddies are out of the house and on their own. Stay Safe, be well. Brian

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The seat needs one of the cables to be replaced. l have to go on the web to find the part, local dealer said it's discontinued. One is now on order from gmpartsdirect but whether they have it or not remains to be seen , quite often an order is taken by an online service only to be cancelled when the discovery of the part not being in stock is realized. The saga continues.

· Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
2,346 Posts
You can probably rig a new cable with a bike cable and the appropriate sized crimp. Just a thought if you get desperate. My seats actually broke the plastic cam, so I had to make each cable "manual" by adding a handle to each one.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will hold idea that as my plan B. Thanks for the idea. Not holding out a lot of hopeful my last order with Plymouth Cadillac , it seems to be out of stock most everywhere. Just finding it difficult to believe most of these parts places don't have a Cross-Fit reference guide to see if maybe a later model's part can be substituted for an early part of similar design/need. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts