GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided that I'd tackle the tune up on the burb this afternoon / evening. I just recently purchased the truck so I wanted to be sure a tune up was done as soon as possible because who knows when the last time it was done. I tackled the following tonight;

Oil Change
Distributor Cap
Rotor
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires

Everything was a snap until I started pulling plugs out. If felt as if they had never been changed! I thought for sure I would be snapping one off into the block before the night was over, but luckily that didn't happen.

I get down to the last plug and I can't get the socket onto it. I seriously spend over an hour trying everything I can think of. Finally I decide that something has to be lodged in the hole not letting the socket onto the hex part of the plug. After half an hour and with the help of my digital camera...EUREKA, I SEE IT!

1/4 of an inch of the plug wire had broken off while I was taking them off. It took another half an hour and 3 different knives but I finally got that sucker out!

I've never seen that happen before. Man it had to have been forever since this thing had a tune up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
She ought to run like new money!

May she run like a champ and get 50 miles per gallon for all of your effort! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Post that pic 93burb. Thats some weird luck.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Well at least you were replacing the wires anyway.

Glad to hear you got it done.

I like those little swivel inspection mirrors, problem is, most of mine are so covered with weld spatter that I can’t see a dam thing.

Great that you used your digital camera to find the problem though.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I decided that I'd tackle the tune up on the burb this afternoon / evening. I just recently purchased the truck so I wanted to be sure a tune up was done as soon as possible because who knows when the last time it was done. I tackled the following tonight;

Oil Change
Distributor Cap
Rotor
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires

Everything was a snap until I started pulling plugs out. If felt as if they had never been changed! I thought for sure I would be snapping one off into the block before the night was over, but luckily that didn't happen.

I get down to the last plug and I can't get the socket onto it. I seriously spend over an hour trying everything I can think of. Finally I decide that something has to be lodged in the hole not letting the socket onto the hex part of the plug. After half an hour and with the help of my digital camera...EUREKA, I SEE IT!

1/4 of an inch of the plug wire had broken off while I was taking them off. It took another half an hour and 3 different knives but I finally got that sucker out!

I've never seen that happen before. Man it had to have been forever since this thing had a tune up!
Yeah, post that photo if you still have it on your camera.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here it is guys, sorry for the delay!

As you can see there is about a quarter of an inch worth of spark plug wire boot still attached. Talk about a pain!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts