GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Silverado HD 2019 Duramax 6.6, Black Crew Cab, 6 Speed.
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My wife drives a 2003 Silverado 2500 gasser 6.0 we’ve had it since it was new. I changed the oil today and was thinking that the AC Delco filter PF 46E is such a small filter for a 6.0 motor. I am wondering if anyone has cross referenced to a bigger filter? My work car is a 3.8 V6 Monte Carlo and the filter for it is as big or bigger than the truck filter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
PF46E is what this engine was designed with. The bigger the filter doesn't mean better.

People say PF61E works on PF46E applications but I cannot verify for certain and pretty much you do that at your own risk. Supposedly PF61 does not have anti drain back I do not know if that carries over to the PF61E

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
The PF59 is a longer filter, was used on the 2wd trucks, the 4wd trucks use the shorter filter. Why, reduces vulnerability.

The PF59 is no longer made, I'm guessing GM decided it was safer to keep the bottom of the filter away from the ground and/or snow.
Here are some cross refs

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that I will stay with the PF 46E. It’s been okay since the truck was new.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Hello everyone,

My wife drives a 2003 Silverado 2500 gasser 6.0 we’ve had it since it was new. I changed the oil today and was thinking that the AC Delco filter PF 46E is such a small filter for a 6.0 motor. I am wondering if anyone has cross referenced to a bigger filter? My work car is a 3.8 V6 Monte Carlo and the filter for it is as big or bigger than the truck filter.
your wifes truck uses a wix 51042XP oil filter .......................................my 2000 5.3L truck uses the same oil filter and the filter works perfectly ..filter is strong with a great filter size ,,,also I use a pure one purolator oil filter great filter.
I dumped newGM /ac delco and fram oil filters. I cut them open, looked at them

·
Registered
234 Posts
your wifes truck uses a wix 51042XP oil filter .......................................my 2000 5.3L truck uses the same oil filter and the filter works perfectly ..filter is strong with a great filter size ,,,also I use a pure one purolator oil filter great filter.
I dumped newGM /ac delco and fram oil filters. I cut them open, looked at them
Nothing wrong with AC Delco oil filters. Change your oil at a good interval. PF47E in my S10 no problems. 3500 mile oil changes for me with Quaker State All Mileage 5w30.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wix 51042 XP oil filter video at DuckDuckGo lookup the ac delco,,,,,,wix XP inspection
I believe that I will just stay with the AC Delco filter and the Castrol 5/30 that I have been using since the truck was new. I change the oil every 6 months because my wife doesn’t put 5000 miles on the truck in 6 months and when I do change the oil it’s clean and there’s nothing stuck to the magnet on the drain plug.

Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
234 Posts
wix 51042 XP oil filter video at DuckDuckGo lookup the ac delco,,,,,,wix XP inspection
His truck calls for an E-Core completely different design from the one listed in the link. Which the AC Delco vs Wix nothing wrong with the AC Delco it will do the job just fine.

Nothing wrong with Wix either, it comes down to preference. I just don't see any reason to spend extra money on a higher end filter when I can spend $3.75 at Walmart for OEM that will do the job perfectly fine.

Here is an E-Core

·
Registered
234 Posts
I believe that I will just stay with the AC Delco filter and the Castrol 5/30 that I have been using since the truck was new. I change the oil every 6 months because my wife doesn’t put 5000 miles on the truck in 6 months and when I do change the oil it’s clean and there’s nothing stuck to the magnet on the drain plug.

Thanks for everyones input.
I do 3,500 miles or every 6 months, the oil I use is a synthetic blend like mentioned above. Glad to see you don't follow ridiculous intervals like 7,500 or 10,000 miles its all bullshit.

Keep up with the decent intervals and never listen to the extended intervals if you want your vehicles to last.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
My 2 cents says that an E-core is just a money saving exercise in construction.
Under only 40 psi of pressure, how can a plastic core be better than a steel core.
The plastic core and a plastic gasket permit very fast and cheap RF welding.

When it comes to a filter, the filtering material is all important, and my 2 cents say that any filter under $5 does not have a long life filter.

There are very few filter manufacturing companies.

GM does not make filters. Currently, the GM filters are made by Champion Labs; but not long ago, they were made by Honeywell.

And every manufacturer has cheap lines and higher priced high quality lines.

I know there is a big hate on Fram filters, I use Fram filters. I use the Fram Ultra Synthetic. I want a filter that will outlive the oil that it's filtering.

Oh, by the way, the Honeywell Company that made the AC Delco filters also made the Fram filters.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will continue to use the ac delco and Castrol. It’s worked for me on many vehicle, S10’s, Monte Carl’s, two door SS Tahoe and my current Monte Carlo work car has 181,500 and running strong. Three of the S10‘s were over 300’000 mile. I’m sure I missed a few other vehicle. I had a 1999 3,1 V6 Monte Carlo that went over 400,00 miles the motor was never opened up, just maintenance and wear items.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will continue to use the ac delco and Castrol. It’s worked for me on many vehicle, S10’s, Monte Carl’s, two door SS Tahoe and my current Monte Carlo work car has 181,500 and running strong. Three of the S10‘s were over 300’000 mile. I’m sure I missed a few other vehicles. I had a 1999 3.1 V6 Monte Carlo that went over 400,00 miles the motor was never opened up, just maintenance and wear items.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
His truck calls for an E-Core completely different design from the one listed in the link. Which the AC Delco vs Wix nothing wrong with the AC Delco it will do the job just fine.

Nothing wrong with Wix either, it comes down to preference. I just don't see any reason to spend extra money on a higher end filter when I can spend $3.75 at Walmart for OEM that will do the job perfectly fine.

Here is an E-Core
I like the link that you put up, It enforced how I felt about the Ac Delco and Castrol oi.

·
Registered
208 Posts
An e-core filter is fine for following the OLM or reasonable OCIs. Don't need a long life filter for any thing under 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My 2 cents says that an E-core is just a money saving exercise in construction.
Under only 40 psi of pressure, how can a plastic core be better than a steel core.
The plastic core and a plastic gasket permit very fast and cheap RF welding.

When it comes to a filter, the filtering material is all important, and my 2 cents say that any filter under $5 does not have a long life filter.

There are very few filter manufacturing companies.

GM does not make filters. Currently, the GM filters are made by Champion Labs; but not long ago, they were made by Honeywell.

And every manufacturer has cheap lines and higher priced high quality lines.

I know there is a big hate on Fram filters, I use Fram filters. I use the Fram Ultra Synthetic. I want a filter that will outlive the oil that it's filtering.

Oh, by the way, the Honeywell Company that made the AC Delco filters also made the Fram filters.
These filters are made by Champion labs which is owned by First Brands group the parent company of FRAM.

These same AC Delco E-Core filter design is carried over to the Super Tech oil filters also manufactured by Champion Labs.

The Super Tech oil filters claim 10,000 mile protection with a 99% filtration efficiency so this gives a clear idea on how long these AC Delco filters are designed to last.

The E-Core is as strong as a steel core it is not regular plastic and the E-core allows for more oil flow.

I do not believe in 7,500+ mile intervals especially on modern vehicles with turbo's and direct injection. 3,500 for synthetic blend and the max I would go is 6,000 with fully synthetic but that is only if I am in a bind and cannot afford to do it for some reason otherwise 4,500-5,000. I do not care what anyone says about lab tests.

Either way these filters are designed to last the manufacturer specified intervals.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
@Furious everyone has there own version of what's best for their vehicle.
As everyone knows, I use synthetic, I changed to synthetic many years ago because I was looking for easier mid winter cold weather starts.
The old conventional oil caused a lot of drag on the engine, it would turn very slowly and you prayed it would fire.
The synthetic let's the starter spin the engine like it was a summer day in January.
And my other thought was if the starter is having a hard time moving the oil, how is the oil pump going to push oil, that's as thick as glue, through the engine?
At the other end of the temp spectrum, tow a trailer on a hot day and the conventional oil will break down and the synthetic will stand the temp.
There are so many advantages to synthetic. I do not understand why anyone wouldn't use it.
And it can be expensive; but buy it at Costco and it's very well priced. And, in my opinion, cheap synthetic is better than the most expensive fossil oil.
My truck was spec'ed to use fossil oil, the oil change light program flips the light on when it thinks the oil should be changed, around 5,000 miles (sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more). I like the oil light; but I don't use it. Knowing I have synthetic I change around 8, sometimes 9, thousand miles. It comes out as good as it went in, the secret is a good filter.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, not trying to start any arguments; just stating everyone is different and here is what I do.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As everyone knows, I use synthetic, I changed to synthetic many years ago because I was looking for easier mid winter cold weather starts.
The old conventional oil caused a lot of drag on the engine, it would turn very slowly and you prayed it would fire.
The synthetic let's the starter spin the engine like it was a summer day in January.
And my other thought was if the starter is having a hard time moving the oil, how is the oil pump going to push oil, that's as thick as glue, through the engine?
At the other end of the temp spectrum, tow a trailer on a hot day and the conventional oil will break down and the synthetic will stand the temp.
There are so many advantages to synthetic. I do not understand why anyone wouldn't use it.
And it can be expensive; but buy it at Costco and it's very well priced. And, in my opinion, cheap synthetic is better than the most expensive fossil oil.
My truck was spec'ed to use fossil oil, the oil change light program flips the light on when it thinks the oil should be changed, around 5,000 miles (sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more). I like the oil light; but I don't use it. Knowing I have synthetic I change around 8, sometimes 9, thousand miles. It comes out as good as it went in, the secret is a good filter.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, not trying to start any arguments; just stating everyone is different and here is what I do.
There is advantages to synthetic yes I agree completely however 2 of the advantages can be the downfall for older vehicles.

Synthetic oil has better cleaning properties which is great on vehicles that been running it since new or low mileage however on older vehicles that have been running conventional their whole life it can be a problem because you could have an old engine that has no leaks or only a tiny seepage and by switching to full synthetic those cleaning properties can end up causing some build up to get cleaned off that may have been preventing a seal from leaking.

As a result a non-leaking engine may start leaking because of full synthetic and on GM vehicles you have to worry about the rear main seal.

The other issue is because synthetic oil flows more it can get through what was a tiny seepage before that conventional couldn't really make it through but the synthetic can so you now have an active leak.

So aside from those 2 possibilities full synthetic is superior. And obviously if you live in a very cold environment in winter you have no choice.

I have run conventional oil in -5F no issues on vehicles but I also let my vehicles idle for a good 5 minutes minimum during cold starts and I use a product call Prolong on my vehicles which is an anti-friction additive.

My 2003 S10 4.3 was running Supertech conventional 5w30 (Same thing as Costco conventional) and where I live now the winters don't reach -5F other then rare occasions but we do reach 10F frequently but as soon as I fire the truck up it gets oil pressure immediately. However conventional oil is no longer available by me and oil companies are phasing it out completely and replacing it with the "All Mileage" which is a synthetic blend and that is what my truck runs now more specifically I run QuakerState 5w30 All Mileage.

I am actually a huge Purolator fan but I don't see any logical reason to spend $11 when I can spend $4 for an oil filter that does the job perfectly fine for my oil change intervals. I believe the majority of vehicles that shipped new with these E-Core filters have around a 7,500 recommended interval so there is still a good gap between 7,500 miles and 10,000 miles even if you go with the manufacturer recommended interval which again I do not agree with.

It is not made for people who go with extended oil changes such as that new 20,000 mile oil they come out with obviously in that case you need to buy a filter that fits that application.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
I know we have taken this thread away off track and I apologize to the OP.

Don't tell me Google doesn't know what your typing, I used my phone to type my last post, laid it down to eat and when I picked it up, this was presented to me in the Google News app.
Anyway, it's interesting:

·
Registered
208 Posts

The oil pump (in newer trucks) is a variable displacement. Your P-delta factor across the oil filter media doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts