GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i started my 04 envoy slt 4x4 one cold night and the oil pressure light came on and the engine turned off im wondering has this happened to anyone else and if you know anything about this it has only happened once im thinking its just was a dryed start but the envoy wasnt even parked for 3 hours so i dont know thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
i HAD THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME YESTERDAY AND ENGINE TURNED OFF BUT RESTARTED. OIL LIFE WAS AT 47% AND PRESSURE WAS A 2 PAST THE HALF POINT. OIL LEVEL WAS ADEQUATE . DOES OIL PRESSURE DIFFERS FROM OIL LIFE?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
The colder it gets the longer it takes the oil to get to the sensor.

If you live in the northern part of the country, like I do.

You might try going to 0-30w Mobil 1

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hope this helps

Your fuel pump circuit is likely wired to the oil pressure switch as a safety feature.

"A. All fuel injected cars have some type of fuel shutoff in case of an accident. In the case you cited, the oil pressure switch does not, in itself, shut off the fuel pump. It sends a signal to the computer and if certain conditions are met, the computer will shut off the fuel pump. The primary way the computer knows that the engine is running is from a reference signal from the distributor. The ECU will not allow any fuel supply until it receives distributor reference pulses. As a backup system to the fuel pump relay the fuel pump also can be energized by the fuel pump switch and engine oil pressure sensor. The sensor has two internal circuits. One operates the oil pressure indicator or gage on the instrument cluster, and the other is a normally open switch which closes when oil pressure reaches about28 kPa (4 psi). If the fuel pump relay fails, the fuel pump switch and engine oil pressure sensor runs the fuel pump. An inoperative fuel pump relay can result in long cranking times, particularly if the engine is cold. The fuel pump switch and engine oil pressure sensor energizes the fuel pump as soon as oil pressure reaches about28 kPa (4 psi)."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts