GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2006 chevy Silverado 1500 4.3 by I was on highway doing about 60 low oil pressure light came on pressure to zero it stalled now wont start but cranks I put a new oil pump oil pressure sensor spark plugs wires fuel pump still wont start I tried starting fluid it exploded but no start it ran great before this can anyone help please

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
check the distributor .. coil.. ICM ...
post when the parts you changed step 1/2/3 ? cranking the engine the oil pressure will rise up a bit ....
check the fuel pressure use the pressure Gauge .. should be 60-65 PSI key on engine off ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
This might be something.
You could have an issue with the timing belt.

When it is cranking over does it sound like it is just free spinning?

See if the pistons have compression?

I had a different size chevy vehicle had serious oil consumption problems when belt finally broke it was the same as turning it over with all spark plugs out.
No compression.

·
Registered
718 Posts
check the distributor .. coil.. ICM ...
^^^X2 if your distributor gear wears down it won't turn the oil pump and give you the correct spark. The crank turns the cam through the timing chain, and the cam turns the distributor which turns the oil pump. You can pull the cap and watch it while cranking.

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
Do the newer 4.3s have distributors? I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine they ditched distributors around the same time as the LS1/LT1s came out.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Chris, the '06 had a distributor, the removal didn't occur until the 900 trucks in '07.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This might be something.
You could have an issue with the timing belt.

When it is cranking over does it sound like it is just free spinning?

See if the pistons have compression?

I had a different size chevy vehicle had serious oil consumption problems when belt finally broke it was the same as turning it over with all spark plugs out.
No compression.
Its definitely not free spinning I'm going to check it out though thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^X2 if your distributor gear wears down it won't turn the oil pump and give you the correct spark. The crank turns the cam through the timing chain, and the cam turns the distributor which turns the oil pump. You can pull the cap and watch it while cranking.
Thank you I'm gonna check it out after work

·
Registered
22 Posts
Every time I read a post I learn more and more.

I am laid off this week so I may respond more.

I wait for the final resolution.

·
Registered
250 Posts
jax , what do you mean when you said it exploded? just a suggestion , don't use starting fluid it drys out cylinders which causes damage and too must ruins engine, penetrating oil works just as well and it doesn't dry out cylinders

·
Registered
45 Posts
In my 2006 chevy Silverado 1500 4.3 by I was on highway doing about 60 low oil pressure light came on pressure to zero it stalled now wont start but cranks I put a new oil pump oil pressure sensor spark plugs wires fuel pump still wont start I tried starting fluid it exploded but no start it ran great before this can anyone help please
Please explain "exploded". Do you mean "backfire"? If so, was the backfire through the intake or the exhaust? The fact that the starting fluid ignited tells me you have spark, but it may not be at the right time. I also suspect a fuel delivery problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with one of the posters above, check the gear on the end of your distributer, it drives the oil pump and the distributer. It is very easy to check. Take the cap off the top of your distributer and crank the engine, I bet your rotor will not turn. It's not hard to fix just time consuming. If your rotor is not turning you have to pull out your distributer, mark it's location before your pull it out. The gear will be worn out on the end of your distributer, it is soft and designed to go before the gear inside the engine does. Install the new gear paying close attention to the dimple in the side of the gear, the gear is round but the position matters when the new one goes on. You now have to turn your engine to top dead center on the number one cylinder on the compression stroke by using a compression gauge. Reinstall the distributer with the rotor pointing at the number one cylinder post or wire. Start the truck and adjust the timing for best performance.
I have an 2002 Express van and this has happened to me twice.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Guys, this happened because the oil pressure dropped to zero while driving at 60mph.

Please don't let the OP start tearing things apart because them we will have 2, or more, problems and it will never start again.

I don't know what happens when the PCM/ECM sees zero oil pressure when the engine is at 2000 rpms, apparently, the PCM/ECM shuts off the engine. Shuts off the spark, or the fuel, or both; probably both.

So, we need to tell the PCM to turn the spark and the fuel back on.

So @Jax626 , don't take anything apart.

There is one simple thing we can try, no guarantees, try a battery disconnect to reset the PCM.
Disconnect the neg cable and go for a coffee, wait 30 mins and reconnect and try to start.

If that doesn't work, let's consider that maybe you didn't lose oil pressure, maybe the PCM lost contact with the pressure sensor, maybe the pressure sensor failed.
I suspect, when trying to start, the PCM sees something from the sensor to indicate that there will be oil pressure if the engine starts.
I suspect, if this indication is not there, the PCM says, sorry, no pressure promise, no start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You put in a new oil pump, but are you sure its pumping, and what drives the pump is working? Find where the oil pressure sensor goes in the block and replace it with a manual gauge and crank the engine over to see if it tries to build pressure. If it doesn't, it may not be starting because the PCM still doesn't see oil pressure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Guys, this happened because the oil pressure dropped to zero while driving at 60mph.

Please don't let the OP start tearing things apart because them we will have 2, or more, problems and it will never start again.

I don't know what happens when the PCM/ECM sees zero oil pressure when the engine is at 2000 rpms, apparently, the PCM/ECM shuts off the engine. Shuts off the spark, or the fuel, or both; probably both.

So, we need to tell the PCM to turn the spark and the fuel back on.

So @Jax626 , don't take anything apart.

There is one simple thing we can try, no guarantees, try a battery disconnect to reset the PCM.
Disconnect the neg cable and go for a coffee, wait 30 mins and reconnect and try to start.

If that doesn't work, let's consider that maybe you didn't lose oil pressure, maybe the PCM lost contact with the pressure sensor, maybe the pressure sensor failed.
I suspect, when trying to start, the PCM sees something from the sensor to indicate that there will be oil pressure if the engine starts.
I suspect, if this indication is not there, the PCM says, sorry, no pressure promise, no start.
Sounds like a logical approach. I think there already is spark, though. Something ignited the starting fluid to cause what the OP referred to as an "explosion". Too many unknowns for me to comment any further as I'd just be guessing.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
I agree, he did say the starting fluid ignited

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar situation but mine didn't die...oil pressure went nuts. It turned out to be a clogged sensor all the way in the back behind the manifold. Pain in the ass job so I took it to the chevy dealership.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts