GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
just a quick though here, does your truck have the factory security system in it , that might be problem , my truck is a 98 , last nov it did same thing , i think , started back up and drove about 100 ft and died again ,started it again after 5 min sit and swear session , took it to diagnostics tech , and he said everything he found pointed to passlock security module, which i knew was going out.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I had a similar situation but mine didn't die...oil pressure went nuts. It turned out to be a clogged sensor all the way in the back behind the manifold. Pain in the ass job so I took it to the chevy dealership.
new GM ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,engines have many oil sensors blocked with oil sludge... you must use the dexos GM oil spec... also do not use fram oil filters .. forum members had these issues ..when your oil is changed you must drain it all out for 30 min..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a 4.3L 88 gmc that I dropped throw the lake ice fishing needed to get the engine rebuilt the place I took it to dropped the oil pan and before I could tell him what oil I used he told me Quaker State.

He had me break the rebuilt on havoline then switch to valvoline.

I have to ask because I don't know what's wrong with Fram filters?

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
It's not just "Fram" filters, it's any cheap paper filter.
The big problem is tha Fram makes a lot of the store brands, so rule of thumb, if it's cheap it's probably paper.

GM Delco has a $3 filter, I wouldn't buy it.

By the way, I use a Fram filter!!!
It's a $15 top of the line filter made for synthetic oil.

Like GM, Fram has a complete line of products, from the very cheap to the very expensive.

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Fram Extended Guard or something like that.... I use them on the car... mobile one... on my truck.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
That's a good filter, I use the Ultra Synthetic

Al, I get them at Crappy Tire

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are so right about filters that are made cheap.

I was laid off from Donaldson which is a major supplier of hydraulic and oil/fuel filters.

My job went to Mexico.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Please explain "exploded". Do you mean "backfire"? If so, was the backfire through the intake or the exhaust? The fact that the starting fluid ignited tells me you have spark, but it may not be at the right time. I also suspect a fuel delivery problem.
Instead of the starting fluid trying to start the truck it just exploded blew the plastic tube off that connects to the air filter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had a similar situation but mine didn't die...oil pressure went nuts. It turned out to be a clogged sensor all the way in the back behind the manifold. Pain in the ass job so I took it to the chevy dealership.
I changed the oil pressure sensor switch
You put in a new oil pump, but are you sure its pumping, and what drives the pump is working? Find where the oil pressure sensor goes in the block and replace it with a manual gauge and crank the engine over to see if it tries to build pressure. If it doesn't, it may not be starting because the PCM still doesn't see oil pressure.
I changed the oil sending sensor its looks like this
20201018_154600.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Also before this problem happened my battery light was on everyonce in awhile truck would say check my charging system and check engine light would blink a few time every couple weeks but nothing seemed wrong I drove like that for months​

21 - 31 of 31 Posts