GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed the oil in my 454 last night and in a brain dead fashion grabbed the jugs of Mobil1 5W20 that I've been using for years on my Accords. I have two jugs of 10W30 sitting right there but just did it on habit. Didn't even think twice about it. It is Mobil1 synthetic so I'm thinking nothing bad will happen but I thought I'd throw it out there in case I'm wrong. I'm not so much worried about the 5W vs the 10W since those are winter startup weights. I'm more wondering about the 20 vs 30 weight being an issue.

Is having 5W20 in my 454 not s good thing?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nothing will happen.

FWIW I've run nothing but 5w-30 Synthetic in my 99 from new (and in all the family vehicles). Bought it in Texas & moved to the PNW in 2003. Regularly tow a 4000# boat as well. When I replaced the injection system and pan gasket over the past couple of years, there was no buildup or other issue seen and I've never had a seal leak - despite the once common "wisdom" that synthetic shouldn't be used in that vintage engine due to seal material incompatibility.

Reactions: qman

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda what I'm thinking. Synthetic is so far superior that I'm not gonna worry about it at all. Plus, this rig gets 200-300 miles a year put on it when I take it hunting. It mainly sits and rests all year.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Does it burn oil between oil change?
If it does like my 2001 5.3L, it will probably burn a little more 5W-20 so check the oil level to be sure you don't run it low.

Reactions: ScottyV and qman

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Burns none. It gets driven so rarely that the last time I changed it was 2014 and it was still right where it is supposed to be. It went through a period there where it leaked a tad from the valve cover gaskets but I replaced them and it's been clean ever since.

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I did almost the exact same thing in my 97 Burb. I accidentally bought mobile 1 5w20 (I guess it was not a complete synthetic but still a blend.) I didn't notice until after I had drained the oil and was ready to fill it back up. My truck does drip a very little bit but not enough to leave a spot on the ground and doesn't burn a drop. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever.

Take care and happy hunting!

Al

Reactions: PlaywithTBI

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
CHEERS!

·
Registered
78 Posts
mine is low annual mileage now same as yours. Basically pulls the boat to the ramp or a trailer to get dirt for the garden. With that kind of use and especially with long gaps between changes, my understanding is Synthetic is your friend as it is less susceptible to degradation/contamination. Unless we make a trip, none of our vehicles get a lot of use (and my boat got under 10 hours each of the last 2 years :(), so the only driver for oil changes on any of them is the time the oil has been in use. I now try to keep to a 12 month change routine 'just because" - even though all I read tells me I can go much longer.......

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
555 Posts
This year will be the first year I have EVER timed out before an oil change instead of ran through the miles. How long does one typically allow a conventional oil sit before it necessitates an oil change? The truck just went down completely with a "Service 4WD" code and acts like it's stuck in 4H, so it may be sitting even longer than it already has.

·
Registered
962 Posts
How long does one typically allow a conventional oil sit before it necessitates an oil change? The truck just went down completely with a "Service 4WD" code and acts like it's stuck in 4H, so it may be sitting even longer than it already has.

For vehicles I want to keep and fix later, I change the oil before a very long storage, put a cover on it and park it in the open away from oak trees.
Others, I sell to keep the yard free of junk. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't time out on oil changes. This one might be the last this rig ever sees. I put 8000 miles on this last batch of oil and it was put in back in 2014. Six years and 8000 miles on that batch.

·
Registered
962 Posts
This particular piece of junk, anyway. :ROFLMAO:
Not too fast.
Service 4WD should be easy.
But you need to spend the time which you don't have a lot this time?

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
555 Posts
Not too fast.
Service 4WD should be easy.
But you need to spend the time which you don't have a lot this time?
Sorry...that made more sense in my head than in reality a few hours later.

No, I'm not ditching my hunk of junk. Still has way too much sentimental value compared to the cost of replacing it.

At this point, I don't have much time to address the issue. I am leaving for an extended vacation on Friday and I can't get to it before then with the kids and the sun going down so early. I'm sure I'll get it worked out in a month or two, but it's not the primary source of mobility and not overly critical to have back on the road. Thanks, 'rona...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drained it and put in the 5W-30. From what I've read, the weight can matter. I just poured the 5W-20 back into the jug to use on the Accord. It looks filthy but I'm not gonna sweat it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Going from a heavier to a lighter weight oil is OK, you do not want to go to a heavier oil. Thirty years ago I had a 92 Saturn and it was the first vehicle I had that required 5w-30. It was becoming the standard around that time and one time I could not find 5w-30 anywhere, so I put in 10w-30 on an oil change. Immediately on cold starts I could hear the tapping sounds until the valves filled with oil. A few days later I found 5w-30 and drain the oil and put in the recommended oil. I ran that vehicle to 140K+ miles in ten years when the tranny worn out.

Reactions: bazar01

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I was reading the owners manual and it recomments 5W-30 for "light duty" engines and 10W-30 for "heavy duty" engines. Not sure how a 454 is categorized but this thing never even tows anything. It is merely a passenger rig.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thanks. I was reading the owners manual and it recommends 5W-30 for "light duty" engines and 10W-30 for "heavy duty" engines. Not sure how a 454 is categorized but this thing never even tows anything. It is merely a passenger rig.
The next time you want to change the oil get a oil test kit from www.blackstone-labs.com. Check out their website. I've used them three times and one time I posted the results on this forum. On my Silverado I've always used full synthetic and when I send the oil in after about 6500 miles, there is one test you pay extra for [TBN (Total Base Number) measures how much base (as in base vs. acid) additive is in the oil to offset the effects of acids coming into the oil from combustion and other sources] and it measures what is left to properly lubricate and clean. Each time it was not even halfway used up. For about $40 is well worth it. The amazing part of the report is from any metals that are detected to be out of range, from the metal type it states what part maybe wearing out or going bad inside the engine. I have 82,000 on my 5.3L 2012 Silverado still going strong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts