GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so in looking under the hood recently, I noticed that (im not sure which) some hoses, either a trans cooler or oil cooler, had a pretty good amount of oil on the surface of them, and they looked really degraded and almost rotten, which seems kind of weird cause the truck is only 7 years old. Im not sure if i put on a signature yet, but my truck is a 2004 silverado work truck (base trim) with a 4.8 motor and a 4-speed auto.

Also just to clarify, because I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this, which coolers does this truck have stock? Am i correct that it has just oil and trans? There is a very small steel heat exchanger in the grille that looks like it goes to the power steering system as well.

I was just wondering if anyone thought it necesary to replace these hoses, if theyve been a big problem. I haven't noticed, between oil changes this truck burning any oil which is a good sign.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Most likely its a transmission cooler. I have found over the years that when a truck/car gets to over 100,000 miles it starts to nickle and dime you with little issues, like leaking hoses.

·
4,774 Posts
so in looking under the hood recently, I noticed that (im not sure which) some hoses, either a trans cooler or oil cooler, had a pretty good amount of oil on the surface of them, and they looked really degraded and almost rotten, which seems kind of weird cause the truck is only 7 years old. Im not sure if i put on a signature yet, but my truck is a 2004 silverado work truck (base trim) with a 4.8 motor and a 4-speed auto.

Also just to clarify, because I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this, which coolers does this truck have stock? Am i correct that it has just oil and trans? There is a very small steel heat exchanger in the grille that looks like it goes to the power steering system as well.

I was just wondering if anyone thought it necesary to replace these hoses, if theyve been a big problem. I haven't noticed, between oil changes this truck burning any oil which is a good sign.

Thanks!

As mentioned by Silvertrailerblazer you most likely have a Trans. Cooler.....Below is a picture......Showing where the Transmission Cooler. is Located...it is the Small One in the Front,,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see, I don't have the thing in the center of it, I have the little tiny steel heat exchanger that you see to the far right of the setup in the picture, and then lines running to the back of the engine coolant radiator, in addition to the rubber ones, that look like they are carrying oil of some sort, but it would have to somehow be incorporated into the radiator. I will post a picture when i get a minute.

anyhow, is this a major concern that they could just spontaneously burst or are they relatively solid?

thanks

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
A small cooler on the drivers side is a power steering cooler. The engine oil coolers usually run from a adapter that is built into the oil filter housing to the radiator and back to the adapter. Any old hose can burst, the leak is a warning!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The easiest thing to do is just take your VIN number to the dealership and have them tell you everything that came stock on your truck. Every model will be different and stuff in different places, my 99 has an upgraded cooler for the tow package that was optioned on the suburban but it sits on the side of the radiator not in the middle. Some trucks had oil coolers or tranny coolers that could have been dealer/aftermarket options instead of installed at the factory and could be slightly different as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, cool. I figured out by tracing it that theyre just oil lines and theres no trans cooler (unfortunately). i guess ill replace the lines at the next oil change or the one after that, no sense in wasting $60 worth of mobil 1!

thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts