GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

I just picked up my new 2007.5 Silverado - diesel. I have been pouring over the manuals and I have a question about the maintainence schedule (maybe others may find this helpful as well). From what I am gleening, the maintainence routine will be customized by the computer analyzing the driving habits and then alerting the driver as to when maintainence is needed. However, oil must be changed at least every year. It seems that the mileage schedule has been done away except that it mentions that if I accidentally reset the oil change mileage in the DIC, I must change it within 3000 miles.

So, as long as I do not mess around with the DIC (that just so doesn't sound nice), I just wait for the maintaince lights to come on - be it oil or engine - and then get the work done within the 600 mile "time frame" as long as it isn't over a year since the last oil change? Gosh this is a bit confusing.:eek:

This is my first diesel and I just need a bit of hand holding.

Regards and thanks,
Dave N.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hi again,

I just picked up my new 2007.5 Silverado - diesel. I have been pouring over the manuals and I have a question about the maintainence schedule (maybe others may find this helpful as well). From what I am gleening, the maintainence routine will be customized by the computer analyzing the driving habits and then alerting the driver as to when maintainence is needed. However, oil must be changed at least every year. It seems that the mileage schedule has been done away except that it mentions that if I accidentally reset the oil change mileage in the DIC, I must change it within 3000 miles.

So, as long as I do not mess around with the DIC (that just so doesn't sound nice), I just wait for the maintaince lights to come on - be it oil or engine - and then get the work done within the 600 mile "time frame" as long as it isn't over a year since the last oil change? Gosh this is a bit confusing.:eek:

This is my first diesel and I just need a bit of hand holding.

Regards and thanks,
Dave N.
Yeah, I can see how that is confusing. I don't blame you for wanting some guidance on this.

For starters, I agree with the manual. you should never mess around with the DIC...especially in public places.
Aside of that insightful tidbit:tongue:, I know we have a couple duramax owners who could probably help you make good sense of that manual.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I became a First time deisel owner on 12/31/06 and it has been my best vehicle I have ever owned! Vey little maintenance is required but when it turned 3000 miles, I took it in and had the tires rotated and then had the oil and filter changed. I think they put 7000 miles on my decal for my next visit and oil change so it seems to work out right because my DIC shows my oil filter life as well as fuel filter life for reference as well. I enrolled for my 1 free year of Onstar with hands-free calling and monthly email diagnostic reports showing me what checks out fine and what needs attention from my braking system to my airbags as well as oil and fuel information. Even my current mileage! I have been told by many deisel owners that there is very little maintenance required other than filters and oil.

One important thing I have been told is to always warm your truck up a few minutes before driving and to use your block heater (they all come with em) if you live in a climate that gets in the 20's or lower in the winter( your manual has a good temp guide to follow). I have even been told to use my block heater all the time to pro-long my engine life.

Anything I can help with just let me know!:happy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to thank you for the help. I also have Onstar (have been a subscriber since 1/03) - but this one is way advanced over my '03 earlier model (that was on my Avalanche). This diesel engine (if it is everything it claims it is) is amazing. Again, thanks.
Dave N.

·
Registered
233 Posts
im not sure if im right here correct me if im wrong but the block heater is very good to use in the winter but you should attch it to a timer for how long im not sure.. i think someones told me 6 hours but im not 100%, i think new trucks have a built in timer too. not 100% though.

·
Banned
163 Posts
You don't have to wait for the light to come on. On your DIC there will be an oil life monitor showing what % of oil life is remaining. About the time it gets to 20% pick up your oil and filter. At around 10% make the appointment or change it yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts