GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about taking a slight hiatus for a little bit. Just lost some interest after a while of being on here since forever ago.

Anyway as some of you may know, I have a 99 GMC Sierra with 277,000 miles on her. She has her old truck problems as any old truck would but lately I've been thinking about getting rid of her and getting a NNBS truck. BUT as I have come to the realization, the truck I have now is paying me to drive her. As much money as I've JUST sunk into her for brakes and rotors I think I'll just drive her till 400,000 and put her up for sale. But I've always promised her I am thinking about lifting her up 3" and running 32" A/T tires and give her a nice new paint job and interior restoration to go with it. I need to get my carpet replaced and seats reupholstered and an engine rebuild and trans rebuild.

Looking at 3 ways to go up.
Skyjacker 3" 1300$
Torsion keys and lift blocks 270$
Body 400$

Skyjacker is about the only way I want to go. I hate body gaps and I hate how torsion keys when cranked all the way up put unneeded stress on the cv joints which often leads to the joints failing or boots ripping. Tires I would go to 31"-32" Toyo Open Country A/T

I would need a complete front end rebuild in order to do this though. Ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm and the idler arm replaced.

IDK if this will ever happen but its wishful thinking...

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
You know, if you go with off shelf parts u can get that front end work done doing it yourself and all with lifetime warranty parts for about 300. Hell if they go bad or show signs of failure, take them in for new ones.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You used engine instead of motor that's a good start. . Maybe a low interest credit union loan if available or save fix up when you can. For inspiration a 80's model Chevy thundered pass me yesterday , looked like a retired white crew cab service truck lifted with big tires and sounded like a big block. Not a truck you would see everyday like mine

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I probably will go with masterpro front end parts probably next month and do front end rebuild.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I probably will go with masterpro front end parts probably next month and do front end rebuild.
If it's your daily driver that only makes sense.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I used to think like you man. Had a 2000 that had aroun 207 on it. I did the whole front end rebuild and new tires....2 months later more issues popped up and I said screw the money pit and traded it for my 13. I had done a tone of work, probably had 5k in it in the last 6 months I owned it.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I would just run it into the ground . then sell it to someone as a work truck , like to bring trash to the dump etc...

replace all the safety stuff go with standard parts.

since the cost of ownership reg. ins. is low buy a newer truck for your play time fun. spending MOD money on a truck this old is wasteful IMO...

you talk of engine work and tranny that is just not good idea... some drunk smashing into your old truck they will give you nothing... even if it was parked in your driveway..

·
Registered
82 Posts
toyo open country are trash they wear weird and don't last long... buddy had them on 2 trucks replaced both at 11k miles I am looking into the good year suthorities and they have an aggressive look but an a/t for half the price of a toyo and last longer

·
Registered
16,412 Posts
I look at repairs this way, when the repair costs get close to the cost of monthly payments for a newer truck, it's time to upgrade.

We have yearly mechanical inspections, some times the repair costs add up.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's were I was with my 2000 obs 2500 4x4.
ABS controller was bad, had a bearing starting to knock in the transfer case when in 4x4, crank rod knock on cold start was getting worse, was due for full set of tires.
Within the last 2-3 years had replaced both front hub bearing assy's and brake rotors, had the rear brakes rebuilt, headlamp housings, 2 fuel pumps in 2010.

Granted I was happy with the grandfathered annual plate fees of only $65 compared to $300+ for my 2010....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts