Discussion Starter #1
Fixin to put new rubber on my o3 4x4 and have narrowed it down to
3 brands and treads.

Hankook dyna pro atm rf10 265/75/16

toyo open country same

nitto terra grappler 265/70/16

the hankooks have got great reviews and are about $100 cheaper
around here then the other 2.
Anyone have any experience with these tires?
Or the other ones? I was looking to go to a more aggressive tread then
i have right now.

Thanks a bunch for any input.

Terry m

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am disappointed you didn't spell it tars in your thread title.

Unfortunately, I do not have any sort of help to offer here. Maybe it will help to post what kind of driving you expect to use these tires on, that way everyone can give a better answer as I imagine you won't need snow performance...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Terry you got some good picks for tires the Nitto are really nice, I am looking at Falken AT( There are two different styles, the name escapes me right now) I too am trying to figure out what the best size for my stock 2WD will be. There is a member here that has Falken on his ride I think his name is JBJohnson92F, His signature has a good pic of them.. btw the Falkens run around $160 for 255/65/17 or comparable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i should've used TARS,, in my title,, trying to impress i guess.
as far as driving habits, mostly highway, some off road and as for snow,,
well i am fairly close to the mountains up here and we get some ,, some years
its just a couple of inches and sometimes we get 10 to 15 inches at once just depends.
we get alot of ice storms too. i just wanted something with a little more bite than the laredos
i have on there now, totally usless in wet grass , snow, or anything slick.
i did look at the falkens and they were on my short list too, i think they were the high country.

terry m

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you looking at the H/T, A/T, or the M/T for the Toyos?

I have the Toyo Open Country A/T 265/75/16 on my truck and they have worked great in all weather and terrain. They run quiet on the highway too. When they wear out I will definitely be getting another set.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Haven't used any of them personally, but all three get excellent reviews.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you dont do alot of dirt driving forget the Nitto tires....they wear fast and you wont get the mileage out of them if you do most of your driving on paved roads.

I know guys with all three and the Hankook and Toyo have been the best for daily drivers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the toyos i was looking at were the open country A/T 265/75 / 16.
best price i got around here , mounted balanced, tax, out the door was 653.00
i guy in greensboro quoted me the hankook ATM RF10 265/75/16 for 589.00 M/B/TAX out the door.
the nittos were around 665.00 a set.

i am leaning more towards the hankooks now, i have talked to few guys in the area that have them and
they said the do very good in snow, mud and street, and the wear like iron. i like that part.
i got 68,000 on my laredos , can't complain about that , but the traction on these tire has been
less then desired from day one. even new i had to go into 4 wheel drive to get out of my road with just a little
snow on the ground. its not much of a grade either.
so come this saturday i will have something new on old red , and we'll see how they do. most likely hankooks.

thanks guys

NOW!!!! how about a set of nerf bars,,, huh? i got chrome wheels, chrome bumpers, and chrome window visors.
so i guess stainless is the way to go ,, but what kind (besides the obvious WESTON) and where's the cheapest place
to get sum?

terry m

·
Registered
539 Posts
my falken high country A/T's are holding up very well(6000miles)so far, their quiet and a great deal for the money, i would def buy the again

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Nitto Trail Grapplers m/t are allot like the toyo's but look more agressive to me with the side grooves. It say's they are a mix between Nitto Terra grappler and Nitto Mud Grappler that's the next tires i will be buying.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had good luck with the toyo open country m/t on my last truck they where great in mud and snow, quiet for a m/t and i had them for 60,000km and still had lots of tread left (80% highway 20% gravel ish), but they where pretty poor in icy conditions.

My dad has the toyo a/t's on his 3/4 ton and we have no complaints about them snow/ice/mud.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just an update on the hankook ATM RF10s, i have got right at 20,000 on them now and all is good.
wearing great, very little noise on the road. handling is above average and no wear pattern in them as of
yet. i have been running about 44 psi in them , been off road a few times and they did a great job. on the
highway the are very good . low noise and don't heat up. just thought i would drop a note with an update.

terry m

·
Banned
10,781 Posts
I've been running Nitto Trail Grapplers for 5 months. I'm intentionally running a size that's D-rated for ride quality, as I didn't need an E rating. For normal pavement duty I keep the fronts aired to 38 PSI and the rears at 35 PSI. (Off-road varies, of course.) I just did the first tire rotation and wear seems fine, so far. They've got a bit of hum to them at highway speeds (65+ mph) ... but nothing nearly as loud as a typical MT. This is a worthwhile tradeoff if you require very grippy off-road performance from time to time but don't require a full-blown MT or want the hum of MT's. We'll see how long they last...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update on the HANKOOK DYNA PRO ATM RF 10 TIRES, i have just turn 30,000 miles on them rotated them twice and so far
so good.. the rounded off a little on the front ,, but thats expected on a steer axle.. the ride has gotten a little stiffer.. they still handle
very good, noise has slightly increased , but after rotation it was better. wear has been surprisingly good.. 30K and plenty of tread left.
i need to go and get them rebalanced , but other then that ,, i would say for the money these tires are worth every penny.
just thought i would update this for anyone who may be looking for a set of TARS anytime soon.

terry m

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
update on the HANKOOK DYNA PRO ATM RF 10 TIRES, i have just turn 30,000 miles on them rotated them twice and so far
so good.. the rounded off a little on the front ,, but thats expected on a steer axle.. the ride has gotten a little stiffer.. they still handle
very good, noise has slightly increased , but after rotation it was better. wear has been surprisingly good.. 30K and plenty of tread left.
i need to go and get them rebalanced , but other then that ,, i would say for the money these tires are worth every penny.
just thought i would update this for anyone who may be looking for a set of TARS anytime soon.

terry m
Thanks for the update. Got any pics, and can you say how they do in sand and snow? I'll be replacing mine shortly and do a lot of pavement driving, but we get snow,brain and I occasionally will hit the beach.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I upgraded my wheels to 18's decided to go with 265/65-18 BF GOODRICH BFG RUGGED TERRAIN TA. So far so good, they're supposed to be 50k mile tires, we'll see. They've got a nice aggressive pattern and very quiet on the highway. The hankooks were my 2nd choice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the update. Got any pics, and can you say how they do in sand and snow? I'll be replacing mine shortly and do a lot of pavement driving, but we get snow,brain and I occasionally will hit the beach.

can't say about sand,, but last year i had just a little snow and they did great.. mud they do pretty good,, cleanout could be better but in carolina red clay sticks like glue to everything anyway. ,, on dry pavement the little V8 will smoke them if you have to get on it hard.
but anywho,, 37,000 on the tires and a 167,000 on the truck and both are doing fine. very pleased with the 4.8 engine. has surprised me in the durability and gas mileage. only alteration is a K&N drop in air filter.

terry m

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had great luck with the nitto terra grapplers. They were great in the mud and the snow. quite on the road. lasted about 40,000 miles. I had them on a 1/2 ton 2002 gmc. then put the same tires from the gmc on a 2003 f250 diesel. the diesel was harder on them. heavy truck and lots of torque. The tires were a D load range as well, but they hauled everything i wanted them to with no problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you already get quotes for all 3? I'm always curious to hear what various tires are going for.
last year when i bought these the hankooks were about 100 dolllars cheaper then the others. i gave 598 for 4 of them out the door.

terry m

1 - 20 of 24 Posts