GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fittingly, today on election primary day, a subject like 'Infrastructure' should raise some concern and perhaps anger since it seems that the current, and past administrations by both parties who have promised to tackle this looming disaster that truly is truly a ticking time bomb. Now with the shape or the system dwindling in poor to finally condition EVERY day, and in EVERY state, why the people we elect, and who promise to correct or at least attempt to enact legislation to start work on the sad condition of this Infrastructure, but repeatedly fail to ever even attempt to get to work on this pending lethal bomb nothing happens. Whenever I even think about this issue, I remember the view of the RT.35 bridge collapse into the Mississippi river. Years ago, I was on my way in a company truck headed to Cape Cod. On RT.95, above Brigeport I think, a bridge had collapsed down into a 60' gorge, and all there was, was a temporary wooden bridge constructed to allow One vehicle and ONE lane of traffic across the 400' gorge one truck at a time. Wanna quess how long it took to cross the bridge? well the traffic was 25 miles long. The Connecticut State Police had to enter the fray just regain civility. I saw fights break out as one driver cut in line and the craziness that ensued, it was truly something to remember.

Now since it seems clear that we're not going to get this done, the only answer is the private sector. Now how they get paid is what is coming, and it ain't pretty. Now once we enter into any contracts with the private sector, please be aware that virtually every road will become a 'Toll Road' and how long do you think that will last? The Government will sign over ownership of all these roads and you and I will forever be obligated to pay the tolls which I'm sure will go from 'Basic' to regular for once construction are done, will go to 'Maintenance Costs'. I'm sure you most likely snickering right now but that exact idea is being passed around the table in government offices. And very soon your Governor, and or mine will resort to this, (most likely during their final days in office) But remember, we'll never get our roads back. These companies will sue to keep their property, and it will cost you to go to work, to your brothers house, to your mom's house, it'll cost you to back out of your driveway. If you drive, you pay. The longer we put this off, the worse it's going to get.

Now before you blow me off, remember the problem with Infrastructure costs ? What do you think your Public Officials are going to tell you this time ? Really ! with what? And remember the roads don't care if you have a ICE or a electric motor. Roads are a Investment for us. What do you think the 'Tolls' are going to look like ? Think they'll go up every year ? And please, don't think this won't happen. It has happened in Europe and in Asia, the Chinese have bought ports, roads and airports, and when the countries can't fork over the price tag, they 'Lease' the projects to the Chinese fo say, 99 years, by which time the projects will be worn out and needing another rebuild. Hell, maybe the Chinese will fix out problems. Think it can't happen here ?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts