GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've only posted on here 1 time.. So I figured I'd check back in with everyone...I still have the old suburban, which I have found out since, that its actually an 81 not an 82. Anyways, its been giving me hell since day one and I've decided to part with it. So I talked to a friend of mine who has a 1994 suburban 2500 454 that I'm going to pick up to replace my old tired one. Is there anything that I should know or be looking for with this newer series suburban? Any common problems with the big block?
Anyone want a beater 81 suburban??? LOL
Thanks,
Matt

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
can you give more specs, and a location of the sub? I might be interested... ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 81 is located in Sacramento, CA
Not a whole lot to say about it, its old and tired....
Lifted with bigger tires, thats about it...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, I've only posted on here 1 time.. So I figured I'd check back in with everyone...I still have the old suburban, which I have found out since, that its actually an 81 not an 82. Anyways, its been giving me hell since day one and I've decided to part with it. So I talked to a friend of mine who has a 1994 suburban 2500 454 that I'm going to pick up to replace my old tired one. Is there anything that I should know or be looking for with this newer series suburban? Any common problems with the big block?
Anyone want a beater 81 suburban??? LOL
Thanks,
Matt

I would say go with a 96 or newer if you can afford it. This generation of suburban is getting pretty affordable now used.

The 96 and newer have the vortec motors with more power.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The 96 and newer also have OBDII which can help diagnose troubles and are easier to reflash if you are into mods like intakes, headers, tires etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I wouldn't be getting another suburban if it wasn't for my friend so I will stick to the 94. Its kinda a win win situation. I can't afford a new truck, so he gives me a good deal and I get a newer SUV, and he gets it out of his driveway. This thing will stay in the condition if is in as far as mods. I have two brand new cars that are daily drivers, this is just a weekend, towing, camping, special occasion type vehicle.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It's all good. The burb life.

Is that 94 burb 4wd or a mall cruiser? JK! 4wd would have it's own challenges, but lots of good info here either way. My 93 burb has been good to me. I do wish I had opted for the 2500 454.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Is that 94 burb 4wd or a mall cruiser? JK! 4wd would have it's own challenges, but lots of good info here either way. My 93 burb has been good to me. I do wish I had opted for the 2500 454.
Bet you dont say that when your standing at the gas pump!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I love to take my burb to Costco!

Originally Posted by tbplus10
Bet you dont say that when your standing at the gas pump!!
No complaints here. Mine is paid for. The guy I worry about is the 07 burb owner with $450.00 payment on top of the fuel cost. That's like dumping 150 gallons a month in the gutter. Now that is guzzling gas!:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I believe the 96 vortec 350 has more power than the 94 454 as well.
More horsepower possibly, but the 454 has more tourque. The only reason to buy a B/B Suburban is to tow, thats where a stock 7.4 will always out perform a stock small block.
I wouldnt trust the manufacturers advertised horsepower ratings though, those numbers are manipulated for advertisement and insurance standards.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
No complaints here. Mine is paid for. The guy I worry about is the 07 burb owner with $450.00 payment on top of the fuel cost. That's like dumping 150 gallons a month in the gutter. Now that is guzzling gas!:eek:
There doesnt seem to be a shortage of buyers though. I wish I could find where all these people have their money trees growing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
True the 454 does have more torque, but a newer 350 will have better towing than the old one without giving up the extra gas mileage costs.

Anyone know what the gas penalty is for driving the 454 versus the 350?

The new burbs do have the cylinder on demand technology, so gas mileage is probably closer to 20mpg for freeway where the old ones are closer to 10mpg.

I just read that GM is working on a Diesel, hopefully to bring 28mpg to the Burbans.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
My 07 Burban

I am getting a soild 19mpg all the time in my burb, unless of course I am blowing the doors off a ford truck or something! Yes, it took a few leaves off the money tree, but can you put a price on total happiness and great safety? Oh, and the location of the money tree is, (Take a left at,work three jobs for 20 years and a right at, invest wisely).:biggrin:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am getting a soild 19mpg all the time in my burb, unless of course I am blowing the doors off a ford truck or something! Yes, it took a few leaves off the money tree, but can you put a price on total happiness and great safety? Oh, and the location of the money tree is, (Take a left at,work three jobs for 20 years and a right at, invest wisely).:biggrin:
That is good to know. I read a few reviews where editors were claiming 14mpg. That didn't seem so great considering the new cylinder shut off at cruise features. It sounds like they probably have lead feet.

A couple of complaints that I've read online, are that the new burb no longer can carry a drywall sheet ( I know a rare need, but I did use my truck for this purpose ).

And also that not all of the seats have latch safety hooks for car seats?

Have you owned older Burban's and if you did, how do you think the new truck compares?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts