GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving down the interstate today with the family and my burb (99 k1500) all of a sudden jerked. It was like someone turned the key off for 1/2 a second then back on. It did this multiple times over a 80 mile trip. Each time the same, total loss of engine fire for a split second then ran fine.

I scanned the computer with a cheap obd2 scanner and got p1336 with another code stored that I forgot, it was related to crank position sensor voltage. I have seen the p1336 code since I replaced the ecu 2 years ago and never had issue like this.

Any idea?

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
The P1336 is probably because you didn't do a crank position relearn when you replaced the computer. The relearn is a syncing procedure, it wouldn't cause the total loss of power problem.
When this happens, does the dash act like you turned off the key, ie: everything goes dead, gauges, lights all lose power?

If it does, I'd suspect a bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The P1336 is probably because you didn't do a crank position relearn when you replaced the computer. The relearn is a syncing procedure, it wouldn't cause the total loss of power problem.
When this happens, does the dash act like you turned off the key, ie: everything goes dead, gauges, lights all lose power?

If it does, I'd suspect a bad ignition switch.
I noticed once that the gauges fluctuated.. like the oil pressure and temp gauges moved noticeably, the fuel gauge went from 3/8 to almost full then right back. This was on one occasion that it was a slightly longer delay before resuming. The rest of the times it happened so fast between fail/resuming that the only thing I noticed was the tach needle dropping about 500 before refire.

I did not have a loss of radio/hvac if that makes a difference

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
Some things would stay on, just like they would if you turned off the key and didn't open the door.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a bump to this thread for some more advice...

I replaced the crank sensor with a delco unit and it ran fine for a while. The other day it started acting up again on my wife. It stalled as she went through an intersection and she said the security light came on. When she restarted, the security light went away. She also said the fuel gauge goes nuts when it happens, like it goes way past full, almost point due south on the cluster.

I do not want to just throw parts at this thing cause that gets pricey. Any help appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts