GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know I haven't gotten around to getting pictures of my sub yet, but at the same time, I'm somewhat ashamed of how it looks. The truck needs a paint job BAD. My uncle is saying that it requires body work, although I'm not sure about that... Has anyone else gotten a paint job done on their 'burb? How much did it cost? Did you have them change the window seals while they were painting the truck? Thanks. I'm so afraid of the sticker shock of a paint job.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Well, I know I haven't gotten around to getting pictures of my sub yet, but at the same time, I'm somewhat ashamed of how it looks. The truck needs a paint job BAD. My uncle is saying that it requires body work, although I'm not sure about that... Has anyone else gotten a paint job done on their 'burb? How much did it cost? Did you have them change the window seals while they were painting the truck? Thanks. I'm so afraid of the sticker shock of a paint job.
I think I can kind of relate to your situation. Once mine is ready it's going in for paint, but you'll probably have yours done before me.
Sorry, I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I think your best bet is to shop around and get the feel for the shop itself. ie Do they they make you feel comfortable or a complete tool. Is there shop clean, pictures of previous jobs? Once your build a trust then you can move forward relative to your job ie. How much money you can send? What you would like it to look like? Body repairs even to minor areas still need attention somewhere along the job. GM's famous for rotten cab corners and bad clear coat. Anybodys guess would be just that...a guess.
Hope I didn't scare you

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well, a couple days ago, I finally got around to bringing the truck to a shop to get an estimate, and I almost fainted when I heard the estimate...8 grand. I'm still looking around for some little local guy or a friend who knows a friend with a paint gun and a good hand.

I'm now up against a wall with multiple desicsions. Keep this truck, work on it, build it up, or find another truck with a good paint job and start from there. I would like to have 4x4 in my sub, which I have previously asked about. I know it's possible, and at a premium, but I can't decide if it's really worth going with.
My big problem is that I got this truck for a steal of a price (1500), it's got a good motor, tranny, interior, and body, which seems to be hard to find, at least down here regardless of price. For me to land another truck in this condition with 4x4 in it is going to be very rare if possible at all. For now I have no choice but to keep working on this one, and only do mods that with a little work can be moved to another truck if the chance happens.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all I asked was to paint it...nothing more, and he said that, but, that's also a dealer-quality job most likely which would be pulling the windows out, trim, everything to get it to bare sheet metal on the outside. So, it's alot in that job, but I'd still consider 8 grand to paint it...rape...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I could drive down to New Orleans, sand it and paint it and it still wouldn't cost you $8000....Holy moly

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
deal ;) , though seriously, if someone's willing to do something like that, I'm completley open to patronizing my fellow gmtruckclub members...

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
well, the night before yesterday, I caused a bit more of body work to need to be done to my truck. I was parking the burb in the street where it sits, and I accidentally hit the front passenger door on a stump sitting in my yard. A pretty nice bump in the door...ouch As a result, my friend and I are considering attemping to learn how to do some body work using bondo or something similar and painting. Gonna have to wait for a nice day with lots of time when we can start attacking the truck with sanders.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How long is a rope?

I'm sorry to hear about the new damage. I am not trying to be facetious, but wanting to know "How much does a paint job cost?" Is much like "How long is a rope?" There are many variables to consider. Such as age of truck, how long do you plan to keep it, general mechanical condition, current ACTUAL market value, your planned usage of the truck, and maybe even the amount of sentimental value you place on it. I used to do a lot of my own paint work. Paint is labor intensive, this is how I could get very nice paint jobs that I could afford. I had the time and ability. I once did the grille of an International. (the easy bolt off kind) I put a huge of time and effort into it, an was rewarded with almost unbelievable finished product. The truckers at the truck stops noticed and wanted to know what I would charge for theirs. Forget it! even at $10/hr and materials you could buy 3 or 4 new ones. (BTW I also own top notch guns, sanders and a compressor that blows DRY air.)

I would suggest as has been previously posted to shop around at the independents in your area, look at the jobs in progress, shop conditions, and most importantly, their painting area, as in "Do they have an actual booth?" A booth is not always neccessary, but I have difficulty seeing a paint business staying in business without one. Talk to the shop owner/manager and be certtain that you both fully understand what your expectations are. If he tries to sell you on Imron or Sunfire paint when all you need is factory grade acrylic enamel, you might want to interview another shop.

A talented kid with an open yard space can often produce a good "20-Foot paint job"! That is a job that looks OK from 20 or so feet away.

Respectfully,
BINGO53 :great:

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my main problem with getting estimates on the truck has mainly been time. Most all of the paint shops that would probably be willing to do it for less are in New Orleans, which is a 40 min drive from where I live. The impression I have gotten from most people is that these paint shops are going to want to hang onto the truck for a couple days, which means that I have to drive the truck out there, with someone trailing me, then get a ride home and back when they are done the estimate. There's a Maaco in town that I could probably get a reasonably priced job from, I just have to get the truck in for an estimate, which is tough with my and my friends/relative schedules,but I'll do my best to get it in ASAP for an estimate...this is killing me not having a nice looking truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts