GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gonna by high temp paint and paint my manifolds but my grandfather who was a mechanic told me the paint will burn off. is there any paint that would stay on it and not burn?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I can't remember using it on manifolds, but I have used VHT's high temp paint on headers and it works great.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Powdercoat FTW! I know of guys that have powdercoated their turbos, and it hasn't burned off yet.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i only plan on keeping it for a while so i dont wanna powder coat anything. i just wanted to paint them so they arent rust colored

·
Registered
126 Posts
Powdercoat may not hold up to the high temps!! Also preping the manifold is time consuming and potentially expensive!! VHT paint is designed for manifolds and headers. I've used it a lot with great luck.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Powdercoat may not hold up to the high temps!! Also preping the manifold is time consuming and potentially expensive!! VHT paint is designed for manifolds and headers. I've used it a lot with great luck.
thanks guys

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I third the VHT high heat paint, I've had good luck with it too. Are you going to take them off Matt and then paint?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i had just put them back on so i will use a brush to put in. my dad said if he was gonna help me i had to put them on now.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm not so sure you can buy that stuff to paint on, but I'm probably wrong. To get a nice finish on it, it would be good if you could pop them back off so you can make them look sweet. As far as colour don't use that Kansas chrome LOL (Sorry Jeff I couldn't resist)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I have used high temp paint on manifolds and headers and so far none of them have stayed painted. On a Triumph Spitfire I was restoring, I put a new header on and painted it with 1200 degree paint and also put a thin coat of transmission fluid on it (a trick that I had heard about from some knowledgable (sp) people that told me it would add to the adhersion properties of the paint) and before I had finished the initial break in run, it was popping the paint off in chunks about 1/2 inch diameter. I have come to the conclusion that if you don't ceramic coat it, it won't stay.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have used high temp paint on manifolds and headers and so far none of them have stayed painted. On a Triumph Spitfire I was restoring, I put a new header on and painted it with 1200 degree paint and also put a thin coat of transmission fluid on it (a trick that I had heard about from some knowledgable (sp) people that told me it would add to the adhersion properties of the paint) and before I had finished the initial break in run, it was popping the paint off in chunks about 1/2 inch diameter. I have come to the conclusion that if you don't ceramic coat it, it won't stay.
thats what i was told will happen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts