GM Truck Club Forum banner

Painted my mirror caps.

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  adampaul1964 
#1 · (Edited)
No where near a professional paint job but not bad for spray cans. The clear didn't turn out any where close to the factory body paint job so I'm telling myself that it looks better the way it blends with the black texture of the rest of the mirror, either way I think it's an improvement.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks sharp, i can't see anything wrong with the clear from the pics that you posted. I think it would be hard to get it perfectly smooth w/o sanding the entire thing down.

-JJ

#3 ·
I think it looks good Adam. Maybe after they dry/cure for 30 days try a mild polish on them.

#5 ·
Definitely like that two-toned look when the caps are painted. It adds just that much more class to an already classy ride. Looks pretty darn good for spray paint as well!

#6 ·
Adam, I forgot to add after you polish them, then add a coat of wax to them.

#8 ·
Hey ADAMPAUL man if your not fully satisfied and want to redo them and prob could have got this paint to match your color code and year make and model along with good clear coats and the color matched paint is already in a spray can. I would try this site www.automotivetouchup.com they have good prices and the paint comes already mixed and have everything on the site to paint whatever you need.I was actually thinking about buying paint and supplies to paint my mirrors and a spray gun kit they have for $90 that i could hook up to my air compressor that was given too me and is nice! Let me know what yall think of the site!

#10 ·
Adam......The Dupilcolor Product line of paint and other items.....IMO is Awesome to be able to get the Perfect Match Paint along with the Clear Coat, I can't think of a another product that Even comes Close to the Dupilcolor!!.....when I painted the Rear bumper pads....I was and still am Very Pleased with the End results!!

#11 ·
oh okay well i would do what others have said and maybe add a couple more coats of clear to get it close to the paint on your truck. I'm ready to get my mirror's painted next month it's gonna look Way better. I'm also thinking about getting the rest of the plastic on my truck painted to match also and leave the chrome since i haven't seen many people do that and still have that lil bit of chrome ha!!

#15 ·
As you know since you commented on it, I just did that on my Avalanche. Same process with the duplicolor in a spray can. I got the perfectly smooth finish - actually smoother than the factory. All you have to do is get some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wetsand them until the clearcoat is smooth. After I did that, I added 3 more coats of clear (not because I had to, but because mirrors face forward and tend to get hit by rocks) and then wetsanded again.

Once you have them wetsanded nice and smooth, all you have to do is use some wax or polish to get them to a high shine and they will stay that way. If you have a power polisher, it will take less than a minute per cap to polish them out. If not, it still only takes a couple of minutes.

If you take these couple of steps here, as long as you got all the texture off when you sanded them, you should have a very professional looking finish.

BUT, as they are, they already look much better than the crappy textured plastic they originally were. Good job.

Reactions: mfleetwood
#16 ·
As you know since you commented on it, I just did that on my Avalanche. Same process with the duplicolor in a spray can. I got the perfectly smooth finish - actually smoother than the factory. All you have to do is get some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wetsand them until the clearcoat is smooth. After I did that, I added 3 more coats of clear (not because I had to, but because mirrors face forward and tend to get hit by rocks) and then wetsanded again.

Once you have them wetsanded nice and smooth, all you have to do is use some wax or polish to get them to a high shine and they will stay that way. If you have a power polisher, it will take less than a minute per cap to polish them out. If not, it still only takes a couple of minutes.

If you take these couple of steps here, as long as you got all the texture off when you sanded them, you should have a very professional looking finish.

BUT, as they are, they already look much better than the crappy textured plastic they originally were. Good job.
Yall both did a good job man i just don't have the patience lol but really nice work the both of you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.