GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 07 Silverado, black, and I want to paint the bowties black. Originally I was going to put a chrome one in the grille and shave the tailgate, but I decided to just paint both instead. I will get it done professionally, because my painting skills suck. My question is, with the center caps on the wheels. Can the bowtie be painted on these fairly simply? I was told by someone at the dealership to just sand them down a little bit then tape off and spray, but will this stick? Has anyone tried this? Maybe pictures? Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
You've got me there. I think it would stick if it got sanded down properly, but painting on plastics and resins sometimes gets you.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Anything can be done with a little patience. Just take your time, tape it off correctly and paint it yourself. You'll save a ton, or you could just take it to a paint shop.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Did you try E-Bay ???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try E-Bay ???
eBay has stickers to stick directly over the wheel bowties, but at 34$ for a set of four....plus I don't know how long that would last.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Another idea is you could go to your local vinyl shop and have them cut you some out of vinyl. Its cheap and it'll last a good while.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another idea is you could go to your local vinyl shop and have them cut you some out of vinyl. Its cheap and it'll last a good while.
If I do that, I can just buy a coupla extras while I'm at it...the only vinyl shop around here is at the flea market, and they don't know enough english to do custom orders...ya kinda gotta point to the sticker u want on the wall...I will check phone book for a vinyl store tho. Thx.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Vinyl stickers are a good option. Just measure the diameter and they will cut to order. If you local shop can handle it, try any of the online shops. I have used a Krylon plastic paint to do touch ups on plastic hubcaps that works well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your wheels are gorgeous. With the black surround and gold bowtie contrasting the black, you could not ask for more. I am thinking about getting a set of those wheels for my truck if they fit. They are some of the nicest wheels I have seen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your wheels are gorgeous. With the black surround and gold bowtie contrasting the black, you could not ask for more. I am thinking about getting a set of those wheels for my truck if they fit. They are some of the nicest wheels I have seen.
I am not a fan of the gold, they are all getting painted...I just never liked it..on my 98 I had the SS bowtie

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to a vinyl shop here and got some heavy duty vinyl decals perfectly sized for the wheels and one for the steering wheel. They will be done Monday, I will post pics up then. Thanks for the vinyl suggestion.

·
Banned
372 Posts
I went to a vinyl shop here and got some heavy duty vinyl decals perfectly sized for the wheels and one for the steering wheel. They will be done Monday, I will post pics up then. Thanks for the vinyl suggestion.
You're very welcome. I hope it wors out well for you and I can't wait to see the pictures!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went and picked up the vinyl decals today. I ordered 4 for the wheels n one for the steering wheel, but that came nowhere near the minimum so they filled out the sheet for me. I now have 28 bowties that do not fit. They are remaking them free of charge and i got to keep the wrong sized ones. Other than the 3rd brake light, I have no idea what to do with these extras.

·
Registered
533 Posts
maybe some of the members here would like to take some of those off ur hands?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
maybe some of the members here would like to take some of those off ur hands?
hehe i would but i already sold them to a friend of mine that works at a chevy dealership...he's always looking for ways to make his pickemup different... something about jealous coworkers

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First pic, steering wheel decal. Others few days.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steering wheel done. Wheels a few days.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know they look a little off but im sittin here in this bright ass room examinin every side of every decal, theyre perfect

1 - 20 of 25 Posts