GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day
I own a 2005 Chev Siverado, made in the US and a 2006 GM Sierra, made in Canada. Both light duty 1/2 tons. I want to swap the rear differentials but need to know if they are interchangeable. My concern is metric vs SAE parts. I have run into one instance where bolt sizes conflicted, when working on some other part. Yet, some things I have swapped out with no problem. I would like to find out if I can do the change-over of the rear ends before I start ripping things apart. If you know for sure, please share your information.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Wouldn't worry too much about SAE vs. Metric. My '95 has 16mm nuts on the fuel pump supply and return lines with 19mm female ends on the frame lines. The fuel tank strap bolts are 15mm along with the front tank support bracket. The fuel pump and lighting ground screws are 13mm. The air conditioner bolts on the R4 compressor are 15mm.

The screws holding the fuel tank fill hose to the fender: 7mm. Heater blower resistor screws: 7mm. Cabin controls behind the dash bezel: what few are not philips are 7mm. Just a few anecdotes.

Pretty sure GM doesn't have two sets of standards for their vehicle fasteners. That would be a serious waste of money.

I suspect you're going to be fine.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I'm in Canada and my US Avalanche (made for the US market) is all metric. I had to buy additional metric sockets to work on it.

A couple of cautions, if the truck receiving the diff is a 4x4 be sure the gear ratio matches.

Also check the brake hoses, around '05 GM went from 3 channel ABS to 4 channel ABS.
The 3 Chan has one rubber brake line in the centre, while the 4 Chan has 2 rubber brake lines, one on each side.
Not a big deal; but you will have to mod the lines and wiring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that info. Both trucks are rear wheel drive, so I don't need to worry about gear ratio. I will be sure to check out the brake lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts