GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this truck used in november of 2010, never came to my attention that the speaker wasn't working till one day my music got louder. The speaker comes on at random times when i'm driving and will stay on for a bit, and then it won't come back on whenever i turn the truck off and drive again. And it doesn't happen all the time, but it doesn't work 90% of the time.

I already took the door panel off to check the wires to the speaker thinking that maybe someone had an aftermarket speaker installed at some point, but no one has taken off the panel since it was put together in canada. So, now i'm wondering maybe someone installed an aftermarket head unit?

I Just don't know how to remove the head unit, so what do you fellow readers think? Could it be behind the head unit where it's creating the problem?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so i removed the stereo and went behind there and everything seemed to look just fine...I did see this though IMAG0003.jpg
should there be an exposed wire? I'm not used to this new stuff so...please let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
No there should not be a bare exposed wire. Should probably go back in that hole that it lines up with. not sure how easy it will be to put back in with the picture, but if you can get that back in and have it stay that could very well fix your problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking, but I was able to pull back the wraping that GM puts around the harness and notice that it was exposed all the way through that too. I'll take more pictures after I get back from lunch.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
thats interesting. cant say I have seen that on any of the stereos that I have done.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
There should not be any bare wires in the bundle, not even for ground. I wonder if the insulation got cooked off or something. If you follow that wire you might find it grounded somewhere it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, i'll do what I can to follow the wire. I was saying the exact same thing..that there shouldn't be any bare wires in the bundle. If it proves to be a much bigger task i'm definitely going to take it to the dealer where i bought it from and demand that they fix that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet, I haven't been out there because we have high humidity here in central tx and it's over 100 outside and i have no shaded area to work..so i'm gonna wait till a little later

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Alright, I went out there and checked behind the radio again. Everything seems fine, the exposed wire goes as far as i am willing to go without the proper material to replace the wrapping in the harness. However it seems that within the wrapping it is again wrapped with some other wires. So I'm guessing GM did it that way from factory on the 2008 Texas edition silverados.

After fooling with the wires I have no idea what I did, but after pushing everything in the speaker seems to work fine now. Still has me worried, if it goes out again I will be going to the dealership to seek further advise. For now, the problem seems to be fixed.
IMAG0009.jpg IMAG0008.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
if its under warranty take it back anyways it could end up frying your deck.if it isnt i would seperate the wires and at least wrap it in electrical tape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts