GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My customer has been driving this Chevy 3/4 ton HD for the last year with no issues. It has a regular non-chip key, the ONLY key he has. It needed a turn signal switch, which I ordered. It took 5 days from the dealer. The truck as DRIVEN out to the "south 40" in my yard. It hasn't started and continued running since then. I now have a security light on the dash. It starts and immediately shuts off. I have been looking at various sites on the internet that supposedly discuss this issue. None of them have helped so far. I am at a loss as to what to do next, except to buy and pay $300 for a new ignition switch. The three small wires at the top of the ignition switch are, solid yellow, orange/black and red/white. Am I at least looking in the right place? I have 2000 ohms worth of resistors to wire in, to replace the chipped key, but I don't know for sure where to put them. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Peter Van Keuren - [email protected]

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
cut the yellow wire. put the red lead of your ohmmeter on the cut yellow wire KEY SIDE and your black meter lead on the ORANGE / black wire. Measure/Record the resistance. Then flip flop your meter leads putting the black lead on the cut yellow wire and the red lead on the ORANGE / black. Record the resistance. The 2 resistance values mayor may not be different. Go with the higher value if so and make sure you use a resistor or combination of resistors that is right on the higher value.

Then do this

hard wire the resistor permanently accross the ORANGE / black and vehicle side of the yellow wire. You should not need a relay and it will not matter if the resistor is hardwired even without the key on. Solder and heat shrink all connections.
Good luck.
This info is on the web as the passlock system caused many no start issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cut the yellow wire. put the red lead of your ohmmeter on the cut yellow wire KEY SIDE and your black meter lead on the ORANGE / black wire. Measure/Record the resistance. Then flip flop your meter leads putting the black lead on the cut yellow wire and the red lead on the ORANGE / black. Record the resistance. The 2 resistance values mayor may not be different. Go with the higher value if so and make sure you use a resistor or combination of resistors that is right on the higher value.

Then do this

hard wire the resistor permanently accross the ORANGE / black and vehicle side of the yellow wire. You should not need a relay and it will not matter if the resistor is hardwired even without the key on. Solder and heat shrink all connections.
Good luck.
This info is on the web as the passlock system caused many no start issues.
The wire color codes are exactly as you desctibed. I did that, and it still won't stay running. Any other suggestions?

We are now looking at a new ignition switch with new key, and re-programming the ECM, to the tune of several hundred dollars at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wire color codes are exactly as you desctibed. I did that, and it still won't stay running. Any other suggestions?

We are now looking at a new ignition switch with new key, and re-programming the ECM, to the tune of several hundred dollars at least.
BTW, the resistors I used are 2, 1k in series, 1%. I couldn't find 5%.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts