GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totaly lost on this so I'm on here for help. du Well im looking to add some performance parts to my truck. I'm thinking of Chip, intake, exhaust, and headers. Please give me some insite, do's and don'ts, or recommendations.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I'm totaly lost on this so I'm on here for help. du Well im looking to add some performance parts to my truck. I'm thinking of Chip, intake, exhaust, and headers. Please give me some insite, do's and don'ts, or recommendations.

Welcome to the site, you've got to be freezing up there now and you need a nice running and warm truck, that's for sure.

What type of budget, etc are you looking for? You would definately seem some pretty significant performance improvements going the route that you've mentioned above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site, you've got to be freezing up there now and you need a nice running and warm truck, that's for sure.

What type of budget, etc are you looking for? You would definately seem some pretty significant performance improvements going the route that you've mentioned above.
Well I would have to do it in peices. I'm a person who likes to do it right the first time. Other then that I normally have an extra 500 each paycheck, 1000 a month. So yea I just need some advice of whats good and what works well for my truck.:glasses:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Read everything in the thread Which mod first ? Plus for your truck you can get long tube headers . Major gains . To get one of the best check SLP , they have everything from intake to tailpipe tips . SLP is the performance supplier for GM. They have a kit that is a complete exhaust , longtube headers, freeflo cats, muffler , and all the pipes .

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would recommend a K&N cold air intake. they are fairly cheep I got mine off ebay for under $300, Exhaust is huge I put a flowmaster on my truck huge performance gains and it upped my gas mileage by almost a full MPG.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read everything in the thread Which mod first ? Plus for your truck you can get long tube headers . Major gains . To get one of the best check SLP , they have everything from intake to tailpipe tips . SLP is the performance supplier for GM. They have a kit that is a complete exhaust , longtube headers, freeflo cats, muffler , and all the pipes .
Thanks Doug I was confused on which header (long or short) would work best so that helped. Thanks for also giving me another place to look stuff up. Good luck in your vehical performance indeavor. Happy Holidays :great:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would recommend a K&N cold air intake. they are fairly cheep I got mine off ebay for under $300, Exhaust is huge I put a flowmaster on my truck huge performance gains and it upped my gas mileage by almost a full MPG.
Thanks ras that was the route I was thinking of taking, between you and some others comment I think I'm going to go with K&N. Happy Holidays :party:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question I've already switched to synthetic, I know what CAI I'm going to get. I'm not sure on Exhaust System. I would like to do Headers all the way back. I've checked about 12 different sites even SLP and I'm unable to find a full Exhaust system (Headers Back). You have a had a lot of insite in other threads (Doug) or anyone at that matter. So I"m wondering how I go about finding what I'm looking for. I was also curious of what tuner you used. Thanks for the help

Matt:happy:

·
Registered
63 Posts
SIMMIT RACING - 1-800-230-3030 in they're Custom catalog have Dynatech cat 4-ward , longtube headers, 2 cats, and pipes all stainless steel . They also carry SLP , you can call them 24/7 to find out about anything that's available for your truck .They are great to deal with , they do price matching , if you find something priced lower else where , they do match it . Two weeks ago I checked everybody on the net for the Goodhood 442 style for my 99, I found it at 2 places at lower prices, I showed them the printout and saved $78.00 . That night I also bought the Hypertech MaxEnergy (same price every where around $375.00) it's worked really nice .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SIMMIT RACING - 1-800-230-3030 in they're Custom catalog have Dynatech cat 4-ward , longtube headers, 2 cats, and pipes all stainless steel . They also carry SLP , you can call them 24/7 to find out about anything that's available for your truck .They are great to deal with , they do price matching , if you find something priced lower else where , they do match it . Two weeks ago I checked everybody on the net for the Goodhood 442 style for my 99, I found it at 2 places at lower prices, I showed them the printout and saved $78.00 . That night I also bought the Hypertech MaxEnergy (same price every where around $375.00) it's worked really nice .
Thanks Doug you have been a great help.:great:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
This might seem a bit crazy,considering your truck has low miles,and is practically new.But, for about $3100(free shipping in lower 48,a bit more for you folks,I guess) you can buy a NEW-FULL WARRANTY-GM performance 5.3.It has a different cam,and graphite coated pistons.GM claims 330 HP vs 295 stock.
Now a full performance exhaust will be maybe $800-good headers maybe $400-CAI maybe $200-figure close to $1500.Granted it is just 1/2 of the hot rod motor, but usually-usually-performance exhaust,CAI and Headers make a vehicle a lot louder, but just a tiny bit quicker. 35 hp will make you quicker.The "chip" can add performance without noise,so different story.
I'm old-56-and have done the headers/exhaust stuff,and I always got more noise than HP.Aftermarket systems frequently leave holes in the torque curve-they rarely work as smoothly as OEM stuff,and usually give up some torque down low for a tiny gain up top.The aftermarket guys usually lie/exaggerate about the real hp gains.
It is hard to beat the factory engineers now.The cam will trade some down low,for some up high.The graphite pistons will decrease the hp lost to friction.
Others no doubt, have had better luck with CAI,headers/performance exhausts behind the headers.
Of course,you can always add that stuff to a new GM performance motor.The rechipping might be a pretty good bet with the hotter cam-maybe rev higher,and get more hp up top.
Luck,
Charlie
PS I wonder if you can drop a 6.0 in there??

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Guess I'll give my .02 now. First do you plan on installing everything yourself or by a shop? As far as the headers go, if you can get long tubes there great. SLP's are nice but i've heard of more then one person having to pull the motor to get them to fit right. Never on a truck but a shop should have no problem. Dynatech headers I fell are the best and probly the priciest at around 1200 bucks. As far as the intake I'd go 63 series aircharger by K&N. The 77 series looks pimp but does actually heat up a little bit and wont give you as much as a performance gain. Stay away from Throttle body spacers as they don't do anything. Next programming. You can never get anything better then a custom tune. If you can find a local shop or someone online to give you a custom tune for YOUR truck you'll be more than happy. It's a little bit more expensive at around 500-700 bucks but it's the best. If you don't want to deal with custom tuning, Hypertech, Edge and Superchips all make great tuners that will increase HP and give you a little more MPG. Last but not least exhaust. I know some people have had luck with flowmaster but I have not. I've had flows on 2 vehicles and found I lost a little low end on both. They sound great but as pure performance i'd go with something different. Magnaflow makes a great exhaust at a great price. Also think about borla, corsa and gibson. I'd also throw on some High flow cats while your at it. It will give you a nice tone from your exhaust and also throw on a couple HP. There are so many more things you can do to your truck but to get your truck breathing better is the best start. Good luck and if you have any other questions just ask :glasses:
Check out stylintrucks.com truckaddons.com for some good prices and good info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol:Well thanks guys really helped. I have taken in all that yall have said and it all makes since. I'll be pimpin peoples rides in no time. :lol: Thanks again Charlie Doug Ras and Finalday7. (by the way Charlie My ultimate goal is to save gas, so I think a bigger motors out) If yall have any sugustions on anything or want to mention things I should try please fill free. CAI, Exhaust (which by the way doug I found the cat forward, pretty penny but I think Im going with it) by Hypertech, but I still have one question. On the tuner I've looked up a few and found two places online to tune it for my truck. The only thing is I can't find if I can change on the fly or before a long trip like the hand held units. Such as Superchip, Hypertech, or Edge. I figured one of yall have used both or all so I wanted to ask this final question about tuners. So if I get a pro. to tune my truck for me will I be able to change how my truck runs after, or do they just tune for HP?

Thanks for everything and sorry for the nub questions. Have a good one!:great:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You will be able to change your tunes if you go custom. For example if they can tune your truck with the xcal2 then you can order up to 3 custom tunes, for example, 87 tow, 87 performance and 93 performance. Check out vmp tuning in florida and see if they can help you out. I just emailed them and for my truck I have to bring it there but florida's just a little far for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For ease of use , I'll stick with my Hypertech Max .Plus the 32000 part # works on so many Chevy models and years , in 15 minutes I can put my 99 back to stock and then tune my 01 with the same unit . The 01 just sits parked most of the time , it's only got 28,000 miles . It's our trip ride , Home Depot or up in the mountains .

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Cleburn,
Better mpg-hmmm.Yeah,that rules out the GM performance 330 hp 5.3,since a hotter cam means lower mpg usually-same story on a 6.0-unless you put in taller gearing,and that would slow acceleration-defeat the purpose.
Weight loss is the only "free lunch" mod that improves mpg and improves acceleration.The best bet is some stock sized forged aluminum alloy rims.Some forged Centerline rims are generally 4lbs lighter than stockOEM aluminum rims,and 11 lbs less than oem steel rims.They are maybe $700 or so_Ohter mods like carbon fiber hood will drop a little weight, but no where near what they will cost,and you will get more engine noise etc.It is hard to beat OEM sheetmetal for overall "goodness/light weight"
Luck, Charlie
PS My sister in law is in Wasilla-not so far from you.Funny the weather isn't as bitter as I would expect in Alaska.Of course, it is a heck of a lot colder than Louisiana-it is 75 today-going to 80 degrees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts