GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 and we are putting new calipers and rotors on the front. It is a daily and the person usually driving drives it like it is a small car, (hitting the brakes suddenly, tailing people, etc.馃檮) and in the past the rotors have warped and people have told us not to but from Napa, and that is why it's happening. Is this true, and if so, where should we buy?

Registered
I buy my brake parts online and stick with well known heavy-duty performance brands like Hawk, Powerstop, or EBC. You may also consider upgrading to vented rotors. I personally prefer ebay, as there are many solid companies selling products there. Otherwise, www.summitracing.com usually has a decent selection.

Registered
Not 100% positive on the '10, but when both my '03 and my previous '07 had vented rotors stock. Vented as in veined, not cross drilled or slotted.

Janet is spot on, you get what you pay for in "hard parts". I've used the high end expensive AutoZone and made it through two sets of pads (on the '07 which I treated as a 3/4 ton work truck) before needing to replace the rotors. After much research on this forum and elsewhere, Powerstop and EBC are what I would personally recommend. When my next change out comes on my burb, EBC is likely what I'll be going with. Powerstop if the calipers need replaced.

Registered
The vented rotor has air vanes in between two standard looking rotor surfaces. It looks like this:

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The vented rotor has air vanes in between two standard looking rotor surfaces. It looks like this:
View attachment 165726
Thanks so much! The stock ones were vented rotors, and we just found out the front calipers are somewhat stuck so that could be causing the shake. The shake in our truck only happens after the brakes get hot, so we will be replacing the calipers asap. If that does or doesn't fix it i will keep ya posted!

Registered
If the pads are rubbing the rotors (your "somewhat stuck" ), the slide pins probably need lubrication.
There are 2 on each caliper and it is usually the bottom one that binds.

Remove the pins, clean and polish with emery cloth, the holes will need to be cleaned out as well, I usually use a drill bit of the proper size. Don't use a drill, just turn it by hand.
When clean, use a good brake grease on the pins and reinstall.

If you need new slides, they are available in a set and very cheap.

Registered
@RayVoy is spot on, no need to replace the calipers as it sounds like it's just some general maintenance needed on them. It's not a difficult job (Honestly, on my 800 series getting the caliper off is harder than any other part of this) and if you're careful you can do it without disconnecting the caliper from the line, saving you the trouble of bleeding the system after.

Registered
Napa has low grade-low price to high & high. **** man, they have the cheap Chinese rotors? I couldn鈥檛 wouldn鈥檛 believe my own ears when I heard that crap. So, get the Best or second tier as I would. Surprisingly, Jegs also has great prices but u may need to ask what quality before u drop some bones. Happy Safe Holidays Everyone! J.

Registered
Napa has low grade-low price to high & high. S**t man, they have the cheap Chinese rotors? I couldn鈥檛 wouldn鈥檛 believe my own ears when I heard that crap. So, get the Best or second tier as I would. Surprisingly, Jegs also has great prices but u may need to ask what quality before u drop some bones. Happy Safe Holidays Everyone! J.

Registered
Brakes, tires, wipers, and lights: nothing but the best will do. If you are even remotely competent with a wrench watch a few YouTube videos about rebuilding brakes for your vehicle, verify torque settings for bolts (even a cheap HarborFreight torque wrench is better than none), take your time, and soon you will be comfortable knowing that whoever is driving that vehicle is as safe as you are able to possibly make happen. Maintenance on these things is really pretty easy, and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you will do it again, and feel good about it.

Registered
Can u call and ask what grade of rotor? I ordered new grille, projectors, led rear from amazon. They have ALOT. I believe u can order Engines!

Premium Member
Brakes, tires, wipers, and lights: nothing but the best will do. If you are even remotely competent with a wrench watch a few YouTube videos about rebuilding brakes for your vehicle, verify torque settings for bolts (even a cheap HarborFreight torque wrench is better than none), take your time, and soon you will be comfortable knowing that whoever is driving that vehicle is as safe as you are able to possibly make happen. Maintenance on these things is really pretty easy, and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you will do it again, and feel good about it.
I can't agree more. I have found by usage, that my 19 year old 15 pounds of torque, isn't even close to my 69 year old 15 pound ft. of torque. So get a good wrench to rely on. And even Harbor Freight isn't so bad. Your getting a wrench, not a marriage.

Registered
My Napa brand torque wrench was 鈥渕ade in China鈥! I was a little upset. One of the screws fell out. They kept coming loose. I snugged them and the one was so low grade-it stripped. I put a screw thru with 2small nuts and locked them against themselves. I didn鈥檛 think Napa would sell out and yet... it is a decent clicker

Registered
My Napa brand torque wrench was 鈥渕ade in China鈥! I was a little upset. One of the screws fell out. They kept coming loose. I snugged them and the one was so low grade-it stripped. I put a screw thru with 2small nuts and locked them against themselves. I didn鈥檛 think Napa would sell out and yet... it is a decent clicker. Oh yea-I believe I paid 70 bones for it-heartburn. I got a rotor from Napa for moms 99 Dakota and it warped QUICK. Returned it and THEN I found out the store has More than one class of rotor. Chinese at bottom-sorta like my Twrench.

Registered
We have a 2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 and we are putting new calipers and rotors on the front. It is a daily and the person usually driving drives it like it is a small car, (hitting the brakes suddenly, tailing people, etc.馃檮) and in the past the rotors have warped and people have told us not to but from Napa, and that is why it's happening. Is this true, and if so, where should we buy?
You can get rotors pretty cheap on line. May not be the best brand or you can spend a lot of money. But rotors are fairly easy to put on and when doing it yourself it allows you to do it your way cheap or expensive.

Registered
Cheap Rotors are low grade steel which warps after u drive down that big hill ONCE. Look up grades of bolts: grade 5, grade 8, etc. are really tough. Buy a bolt from HFreight and watch. U can virtually c it erode away to nothing! I try using grade 8 which I believe has 6? Hash marks on the head, when replacing a stripped, etc. bolt or nut.

Premium Member
Well make sure the bolt's and not the brake caliper isn't stripped. Usually the brake is made of solid iron
Cheap Rotors are low grade steel which warps after u drive down that big hill ONCE. Look up grades of bolts: grade 5, grade 8, etc. are really tough. Buy a bolt from HFreight and watch. U can virtually c it erode away to nothing! I try using grade 8 which I believe has 6? Hash marks on the head, when replacing a stripped, etc. bolt or nut.
I bought rotors in the past that were not too good one's, They were Drilled and Slotted, and they developed cracks around the drilled holes, I think because they were not great in quality iron to start with and they had too many drilled holes and since they were on the front of my truck, they then got the main braking about 70% and other stresses. I now have just slotted set and they seem to be very good service & quality set. I'm pretty sure they are from the local parts store. The back's are just drums, and they will last a very long time. I have never been an advocate of 'Cutting the surfaces' of either drums of rotors. If the rotters or drums warped as they were, then how are going to react to heat and stress now that they are even thinner, ? But that's just my experience. My rear drums did in fact get warped, and I replaced them with a new set, so I don't have the 'pulsating' in the brake petal and that is now gone. It's really very hard to find a set that are not "Made in China'. They are just a service product and literately all such products of this nature are made in China. Summit Racing are perhaps able to source out a good set of Heavy Duty to replace yours.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts