GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 GMC sierra 1/2T. I am trying to maximize my rear lowering and not spend any more time or money than I need to. I bought some 1-2” lowering shackles. The factory shackles measure ctr to ctr 4.25”. The lowering shackles measure 6.25” and 7.25”. The 2” difference sounds about right considering the geometry of the leaf spring and axle mounting, 2” = 1” lowering. But then one inch further will also do 1” lowering? It doesn’t appear the spring will be arced enough that now 1” will equal 1”. Will that upper hole actually give me 2” of lowering?

Also I measured and I see that another full inch of shackle extension will fit without the spring eye hitting the bed bottom. So I would like to find or make some shackles that will go that full distance, but with the previously stated situation I would like to be able to have an estimate of how another inch will affect the ride height. I know I could possibly remove the shackle and use something to hold the spring eye in various positions to test but I would like to get a little advice from some that may have been doing this also first. Thanks for any info/ideas.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Does the axle have blocks at the spring mounts?

Ted

·
Registered
255 Posts
I did shackles and hangars to lower my rear 3”. Not sure how much came from the shackles and how much came from the hangars, though.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Can you put the springs under the axle?

Ted

·
Registered
381 Posts
Keep an eye on your pinion angle. You might want to find out if you will need to correct it with a pair of shims.

Reactions: xPosTech
1 - 6 of 6 Posts