GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Silverado z71
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 2011 Silverado z71 4x4.
Long story-Short. Had a side collision which damaged both lower door and The other vehicle hit the rear tire straight on. Both rear tire shifted from the impact. Out of state so I am not able to seethe car for a couple of days. So my pictures are limited until I can physically see the vehicle.
Need some advice on if the damage could be severe ( Not worth repairing.. possibly frame damage) or
64D758EC-A990-4660-AEB6-07966DC86B62.jpeg
1D124A19-1BEC-4698-8168-49A46525D7E5.jpeg
64D758EC-A990-4660-AEB6-07966DC86B62.jpeg 1D124A19-1BEC-4698-8168-49A46525D7E5.jpeg major but worth it (axle) or minor and not to costly?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Everything will just be speculation at this time. Body panels and doors can be replaced, looks like rear axle was pushed back shearing the leaf spring king pins.
Can you get an insurance adjuster to estimate the repair and whether insurance will recommend a repair or be totaled.
If totaled, I will buy it back and repair and document before and after with pics for salvage title registration. Check state DMV for requirements to get a salvage title.

·
Registered
2011 Silverado z71
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for responding. My kid wrecked it. Unfortunately Liability insurance!! Yess, I am furious. I'm not so worried about cosmetic parts. I am more worried about what's the worst damage if the rear and shifts from the collision

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Ouch to the liability insurance.

Get the rear end mounted back with new king pins and U bolts. The driveshaft most probably just moved back through the spline yoke which is designed to do that. No damage to driveshaft. Check the wheels if they got bent.
If not bent, maybe it will be drive able.

Reactions: kennythewelder

·
Registered
2011 Silverado z71
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advice. Finger cross. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
X2 on what bazar01 said. Its hard to say what is or is not damaged. From the look of you pics, IDT the truck is a total loss though. As for the frame being bent, there is no way to tell from your pics. Min new door skins, bed replacement panel, and rear end hardware. It could get much more involved than that, but thats the min.

·
Registered
2011 Silverado z71
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
X2 on what bazar01 said. Its hard to say what is or is not damaged. From the look of you pics, IDT the truck is a total loss though. As for the frame being bent, there is no way to tell from your pics. Min new door skins, bed replacement panel, and rear end hardware. It could get much more involved than that, but thats the min.
Thanks I am open to all answers.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
I had an Olds station wagon many years ago that after an accident looked like that.

I[ have coil springs; but everything else would have been the same.

The sheet metal required some new panels; but the rear axle just require a few new suspension parts and an alignment.

Does the wheel on the other side look like the accident side?

If it does, I think Bel is right, new u-joints might fix it.

Check the condition of the frame as it arches over the axle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you cannot find out of the frame is damaged or not then do not take the risk. Besides the frame everything else can be repaired or replaced it could just end up being costly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts