GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dads truck is a 1996 Chevy 3500 SRW with a 5.7L Vortec. It has 301K on it (i know right!) She runs and drives just fine except for the fact that she'll bog down during hard stops and sometimes during slow turn (i.e. pulling into driveways) and it also hesitates on hard acceleration. There very well might be more than one issue but before you jump to conclusions there is a list of things we have changed so far.

Idle Air Control Valve
Throttle Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Dist Cap
Rotor
ECU
Plugs
Wires

There might be more but I cant think of them now. The bogging down during stopping issue is not vacuum related because its a hydro-boost brake system not vacuum. There are no warning lists on the dash. The fuel pump seems to be working fine and the check valve. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. Have you ever taken the throttlebody off and clean with a softbrush and throttlebody cleaner? I see you replaced the IAC, did you clean t the area with throttlebody cleaner where the IAC goes into. It may be gummed up and not letting the IAC to move properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well we replaced the iac at my work in the parking lot and didnt want to get into that right there but that is actually going to be the next step. do you think that could be causing both problems?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Well the IAC helps with the idle. Also if the throttlebody is gummed up it won't idle right. Throttlebody cleaner is cheap, I like CRC brand and if its never been cleaned in over 300k then it sure isn't going to hurt. I like to remove the t/body so I can give both sides a good cleaning. Don't use carb cleaner and use a SOFT brush, don't use a scrapper (I've seen this done).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ill let you know if that fixes it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i haven't gotten a chance to do the intake cause of the rain we are getting but we put some power steering fluid in it cause it was a little low and that seemed to fix the bogging during stopping. Being it has hydro-boost brakes that makes sense...kind of. If you guys knew how long this has been a headache you'd know just how happy i am to finally reach a point where its almost better...lol no i just gotta get it to stop hesitating and well be good. which im pretty sure is the throttle body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts