GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You boys have been at this game but it's new to me.
I want this beast to scream off the line. What do you all feel are the best mods for the money. Thinking of a tbi spacer? k&n air filter.
This week I'm trying 112 octane fuel from my motocross racing bike.
Cannot afford that often but like to test things.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
RE: POWER CRAZY for my 454 TBI

K&N filter is a good start. What year 'burban do you have? I'm putting a high torque cam in mine as part of my rebuild, but I planned to do that before I thought to rebuild. I picked up my cam, lifters and valve springs for under $200. You're going to spend at least half that on the filter depending on the model you opt for, so I wouldn't consider a new cam, lifters and springs a costly mod, for some great power.
http://store.summitracing.com is a good place to look for mods, they may not always have the best price, but their online shop is great for drilling down and getting part info.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It is a 1995 with 156000 miles. Thanks for the web site trailLeadr. How many miles before you needed the rebuild? Or rebuilding for fun? I love the sound of a cam. I have modified many motocros bikes and had more problems than every. I purchased Honda's pro racers mx bike in 2003. The Honda dealer called him and the police The manager of the store thought I robbed it.
It's funny now but I was pissed then. They replaced everything for the rider per Honda sponser. Then he wanted a new bike. I learned the pro's get the best rebuilds and when I fix it ; well it stays in the shop for quite some time. Those big cam,rebuilding jobs no can do. Now if at 200k you needed a rebuild I will start shopping for a good Pro shop and parts. That Mx bike in 3 years of hard riding I have only adjusted the chain. Those Pro's have mods/ bikes so unreal I will never sell it. I will watch and learn from you on the rebuilt 454.
If you inhale more you now must exhale more.Are you going with headers and larger pipes?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

The engine was at 207k miles, and the only reason I'm rebuilding is because of a coolant quick connect that's on the left of the distributor. I bumped it, and snapped it off while trying to adjust the timing. I figured that since it's a snug space, I would pull the manifold to fix it, and while in there I would replace the cam, as I had been planning to. Once I pulled the cam, I saw that I had cracked cam bearings, as well as a couple cracked spots in the poly coating that covers the teeth of the timing gear. So at that point, since I had to pull the engine to replace the cam bearings, I figured I may as well go the whole nine....

This project originally started as a "project", and I was dumping $$ as I could into the rebuild. However I have limited funds to throw at it. Now it's more of a necessity to get it done. I work from home, and take care of my son. Wife works long hours, and we only have one working vehicle. So if the baby gets sick, I'm calling a cab. Not an ideal situation.

For now, I'm just going with a rebuild. I've got a 3" pipe on it now. Considered headers, but that will wait.
Truth be told, the engine ran great. No problems. I never would have guessed that the bearings were cracked. If I hadn't broke that fitting, I definitely would have waited to rebuild. Probably would have put off doing the cam too.

Funny story with the Honda dealer. I think would have been pissed too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It is good you are able to perform such work.The shop charges $50 PER HOUR. My wife stays home with our 3 children. We also needed a vehicle ; 4wd so this is it. "Necessity" good word. Too many years of working as a registered nurse.I was the overtime freak. Family is everything ; it took me some time to learn that. Home is a great place. I opened a real estate company .I am the broker/owner & dishwasher . I operate from my home as well.It works very well. I have and do admired value,econmics and hard work.
The repairs you are making now most likely are saving you greater future costs. Bonus 50 per hour is like $65 per hour pre tax. Don't underestimate your skills here. I don't make 65 per hour and know few people that do. When you are finished with that engine your going to feel like a 454.
Get in there and GEETTTEEEEEEERRRR DONE.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Broker/owner and dishwasher. :) Great line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.