GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, all.

95 Chevy Silverado, 5.7 V8. Power Steering fluid coming out fairly significantly. The power steering is working okay until it gets real low; then it still works but has some new noises that warn me I need to add some. (I know, I should check it more often.)

Anyway, if the pump is still working should I just look at new hoses? Should I change pump and hoses? How easy/hard is it? My Haynes manual is back in Dallas and I am in Houston right now. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good day, all.

95 Chevy Silverado, 5.7 V8. Power Steering fluid coming out fairly significantly. The power steering is working okay until it gets real low; then it still works but has some new noises that warn me I need to add some. (I know, I should check it more often.)

Anyway, if the pump is still working should I just look at new hoses? Should I change pump and hoses? How easy/hard is it? My Haynes manual is back in Dallas and I am in Houston right now. Any thoughts?

Thanks
open the hood, and check where the leak is. the hoses are pretty easy to replace, the pump is a little more work.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Does the system have to be bled or anything when refilled after changing hoses?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Just leave the cap off and turn the tires lock to lock a few times with the engine running, this should get any air out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Followup: You guys were correct; it was the high pressure hose. After buying yet another metric wrench to add to my collection I was able to change the hose, and haven't lost a drop since. The burning fluid spell from all the leakage is just about gone too! Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts