GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 1st chevy a 2001 suburban 1500 lt 4x4. I was in a parking lot the other day and when i cut the wheel to the left and hit the gas i lost my power steering. I was hard to drive home but i got it there. yesterday i jacked up the front and the wheels turned fine. on the ground they wont turn. I went to the store today and picked up a new power steering pump when i started to pull the old one out i found out they are not the same and the original one has wires going to a plug in the back on the pressure side. What is the plug for and could this be my problem
thanks
Suburban Parts
chevy Parts

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Sounds like you have a hydrosteer pump. That pump is responsible for your power steering AND power brakes. Did you lose power brakes? It may not be the pump, it may be something else. That's not to say that you can't lose one and keep the other and it not be the pump. I'm not an expert in hydrosteer, so I'll leave the rest of the troubleshooting to someone else ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My power steering high pressure line goes to the gear box then cooler and back to the pump. what does the hydroboost look like

·
Registered
561 Posts
nope you got he standard p/s system. is there fluid in the p/s pump? hoses look good (no leaks)? if the beast is on the ground you can not turn the wheels by the steering wheel? it will be hard to trun but it should go if not you lost the box but you said you drove it home? was there any sounds?
mike

·
Registered
561 Posts
the good is if it turns you most likley have a bad p/s pump and or lines sometims they will swell and lose pressure. the wires are you sure they goto the pump? i not seeing any with wires on the pump housing. can you get a picture? that might help as well...mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the pump shaft and it pulled all the way out the wires go to the high pressure side they have a solenoid that screws to the outlet of the pump the high pressure hose screws into the side of the solenoid and then goes to the gear box thank for the help i will try to get a pic

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just today I have had the same Problem.
I have the wires on the back of the resevoir as well I have not pulled mine yet but mine are sort of loose when I feel them sort of dangling.
I was looking the steering compomnets over before I started taking things apart and found these wires. I have mine in the air but it doesn't turn much easier off the ground.
This doesn't seem to be mechanical problem mine just started all of sudden as my wife was doing a 3-5 pt turn around on a narrow street we did go up and over a curb but nothing that was to excessive no popping or anything like that.
I am going to do a little more digging. If I find anything out I will let you know what I find please do the same. [email protected]
Thanks
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts