GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. 1st post here so bear with me. Couple questions.

When did gm start offering the locking rear differential in k1500s? Seems to be around 2003 does anyone know for sure? Did it only come with the z71 package? Also, can you get a v8(any), z71, rear lockered silverado (or gmc for that matter) with a manual transmission? How bout with lever operated 4wd? I thought gm did away with lever operated 4wd years ago but then saw a classified with an 03 that had it? Anybody know this stuff or know where to find out?

Ultimately I'm looking to potentially purchase a silverado if it can come like this:
v8 (4.8, 5.3, whatever doesn't matter)
4wd
locking rear differential
manual transmission
reg. cab/short box
lever operated 4wd

Does this combo exist in a 2000 or newer silverado or do I need to give up and stick with Toyotas that have this combo? (minus the v8)

Thanks in advance folks,
Jonah

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
I'm not exactly sure which year was first for the g80 locker, but it was at least early '90's if not late '80's, so anything 2000+ has the possibility of having one. You're looking for the RPO code G80.

Would you be willing to pay less for something without the locker and get an aftermarket unit (which will be more reliable and stronger than the G80)?

I'm not familiar with Toyota's factory locker, but isn't it an e-locker and only used in 4L? It seems like that's what I remember seeing in the only Toyota I looked at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I would be willing to give up the stock locker and get an aftermarket one. I might actually prefer that. So does a 4wd v8 silverado come with a manual transmission? How bout the lever operated 4wd?

Thanks for the help and in advance for any more.

BTW Yes the Toy's TRD locker is an electronic that only works in 4-low. There is a simple wire mod (called "the gray wire mod") that allows you to run it in 4-high and even 2wd but from the factory it frustratingly only works in 4-low.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
my 95 K1500 suburban has the locker and it works awesome. I can go places in 2wd that my 94 suburban (no locker) cant go in 4wd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts