GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
Interesting. Personally I doubt there's anything to it, but I've never seen a detailed study of Mexican made vs other. A few specific thoughts:

He complains of the transmission (can I assume he has a 1500 with a 4L60E). A lot of people complain about the 4L60E, but this is the first complaint I've seen that tries to tie it to Mexico. Remember that "made in Mexico" means the final assembly plant. It doesn't necessarily tell us where each component was made. I don't know where the 4L60E's are made. He doesn't say at what mileage the transmission went so he might have just got a normal life out of this 4L60E and been a little lucky on the previous ones. Or maybe some of the previous ones were 2500 which would have a 4L80E which has a much better reputation.

A lot of his other complaints I've heard elsewhere, too. His comment is the first one that tries to tie this into Mexican made vs. other.

My '98 was made in Mexico. At 105K miles, it still has the original 4L60E, and has been a good truck over the last two years. I've had to replace intake gaskets (a lot of others have, too), water pump, and ball joints, and the idler/pitman arms were previously replaced. All common things, it seems. Not mention, these complaints extend beyond Subs to the other Chevy fullsize.

In short, I don't think there's any data out there to support or refute his claim. He's basing the claim on the 1/2 dozen Subs/fullsize chevy's he's owned out of how many hundred thousand that have been manufactured. With a larger sample size (1000's or even 100's) with all the pertinent data, I might be inclined to believe it more.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Trans rebuild was 110K, the average mileage for a rebuild (125k-135k) is a little higher this mileage isnt that low for a rebuild.
Mexico was the final assembly point and almost all parts and pieces were shipped pre made to Mexico for assembly. I suspect they got a truck that didnt quite live up to their expectations of how their previous Suburbans did. None of the problems listed are out of the ordinary for a GM truck of this age and mileage.
Hope he has better luck with the mini van or he'll be bashing it on some webpage.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I don't know what they pay workers at GM plants in Mexico, but at the VW plant (where they mfg the new beetle) assembly workers earn $25/day. Sad when assembly jobs have to go to lower wage markets, but at least there are a few good jobs south of the border.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'd like to hear Fiero's input on this one. As far as I knew all suburbans were made in Mexico.

I think someone just wanted to b*tch about it, and the internet makes a convenient place to setup your soap box.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I'd like to hear Fiero's input on this one. As far as I knew all suburbans were made in Mexico.

I think someone just wanted to b*tch about it, and the internet makes a convenient place to setup your soap box.
The Arlington, Texas GM plant has been building Suburbans, Tahoes, and trucks longer than any other plant GM.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Burb are/were/have been made in Texas, Canada, Wisconsin, and Mexico.

As far as where the tranies are made that I cannot answer off the top of my head, I can and will find out. Just give me a little time.

My general biatch with Mexican made anything is that it takes work away from hard working Americans.

Fit and finish is also a problem.

But you see for every Burb made in Mexico we loose two jobs here in America. The company still sells the truck for the same amount that they would get for one made here. Yet it cost them 1/3 the labor. Good for the company, bad for the person buying it.

I will check into the tranies POO, (point of origin)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Mexico
Ramos Arizpe 

Hourly: 3,305
Salaried: 129
Products: Pontiac Aztek, Chevrolet Cavalier, Chevrolet Chevy, Pontiac Sunfire, Buick Rendezvous
Engines: V-6, 3.4L and 3.1L; 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 partial engines for SPO
Stampings: Internal and external panels for Chevy
Year Opened: 1981
Plant Size (sq. ft.): 259 hectares

Mexico
Silao Assembly 

Hourly: 2,766
Salaried: 191
Products: Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade EXT, Chevrolet Avalanche, Cadillac Escalade ESV
Year Opened: 1994
Plant Size (sq. ft.): 1.2 million
Union Local: Consideración de Trabajadores de Mexico

Plant Facts:
Plant started building saleable vehicles in January 1995
Reached full line speed on all-new Chevy and GMC full-size SUVs ahead of schedule

Mexico
Toluca Assembly 

Hourly: 373
Salaried: 199
Products: Medium-duty trucks: Chevrolet, GMC C-series
Engines: L-4, 3.0L; L-4, 1.4L & 1.6L; L6, 4.1L and 4.8L; V-8, 5.7L
Castings: Head, blocks, crankshafts and miscellaneous castings
Plant Size (sq. ft.): 43 hectares

Mexico
Toluca GM SPO Mexico 

Avenida Industria Minera No. 700
Fracc. Industrial
Toluca, Edo de Mexico C.P. 50000
Hourly: 78
Salaried: 107
Products: Warehouse/Distribution
Plant Size (sq. ft.): 210,856

Plant Facts:
Plant started building saleable vehicles in December 1994
Vehicle production currently for Mexican domestic market

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/plants/index.jsp

Info from GM corporate site.

This is what I could find about GM production in Mexico. I know there are Motors made down there, I believe at the Toluca Assembly plant.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '99 was assembled there. My '94 came from the Janesville plant. They are both great trucks. Both have required maintenance to enable them to get where they are today. I think the guy is just complaining. Not everything goes as planned and sometimes the plan must be altered to fit the circumstances.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Someone should get on that epinions site and post a comment on that guy's review to this thread. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts