GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just ordered a programmer from hypertech for my 5.3 chevy, now is it possibly to eliminate the cats without throwing codes? anyone with as much information as you can give me would be helpful thank you

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
If you remove the cats, it will throw a code. You can buy O2 simulators to replace the O2 sensors that are behind the cat to fool the computer into thinking the cats are still there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honestly your better off leaving the cat on and running strait pipe from there on. i had an 89 silverado that was 3" strait pipe from the cat on. it flowed awsome and the cat provided decent back pressure over none and cats seem to tone the raspyness out of exhaust and give in a nice deep powerfull tone.

·
Registered
592 Posts
These cats are already flowing rather well. Unless you have some serious supporting mods (ie. Turbo), you're better off leaving them there. No worries about emissions either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I just ordered a programmer from hypertech for my 5.3 chevy, now is it possibly to eliminate the cats without throwing codes? anyone with as much information as you can give me would be helpful thank you

I can help you out on a pair of trouble free mechanical simms that won't throw codes. (for offroad use only) What year is your truck? A Diablo Predator programmer works wonders on the newer year trucks.

Lance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts