GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Silverado 5.3l
I plan to save a small lump of money ($3k) and drop it into performance. I was wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction, mainly to brands and why please.

What I want is: Intake Manifold, Performance cam, Headers, and a custom tune to tie it all together.

If i get a "mild" cam do I still have to change the lifters?

Future plans for Go Fast is forced induction (Turbo) and maybe a some n2o.

And if I go crazy I'll get a steeper rear end , maybe 4:10 or 4:11, straight off the line acceleration.

So how well does the stock tranny and rear end stand up to performance mods? Gonna need to save up some more money for the day these blow.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
For your top end parts I would Highly recommend Edelbrock and with a mild cam you shouldnt need to change anything. I would also recommend edelbrock for headers but The horsepower difference between a $200 set of headers cant be much more if at all than a $500 set of headers... just get them ceramic coated or chrome or they will rust quick. As for tunes I have never done them but someone will chime in soon im sure

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey with 3k believe it or not that can go pretty quick espically if you not installing things yourself. If you fine with tearing into your truck and want to go with a mild cam and such you can save alot of money. I think SSsilverado or something like that on here has some internal work done. If you plan on running a turbo or SC later then make sure your not buying parts that will probly be replaced with the PA. Gears will be by far your biggest bang for the buck and if your trying to build a fast truck don't put this off. 4.10's will make a great improvement on that 5.3. Also if your looking for a custom tune try wait4me.com. I've heard great things about them. Well hope this helps alittle bit and look for that ss silverado and check out some of his mods to help you out and answer some questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah, 3k will go in no time at a shop, I plan to *attempt* to shim in the new cam, limited experience with that. Other than that I will do it all myself, nothing to bolt-on. I was actually planning on going to edelbrock for the intake/exhaust manifolds.
Yeah I hear great things from all the tuners, wait4me, nelson, blackbear, ect. what do you mean by PA? And for forced induction I will go turbo, but thats a ways down the road. and the 4.10 would kill my mpg, especially with my lead foot, so might not do that.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sorry PA= Power Adder. Edelbrock is a great idea for intake/manifold. Now the 4.10's are an issue. It's going to be very hard to make a "go fast" truck and still keep up the mpg's. My buddy just put 4.10's in his 06 and is getting about 15city 18hwy. If gas mileage is a huge concern then maybe don't spend all your money of go fast goodies. For example I had a truck with 75 less hp then my buddy and had 3.73 gears. He had 3.23 gears. Our trucks weighed the same and off the start I would smoke him till about 45-50 mph until his top end would kick in.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
If your going with a turbo save some money now and stick with the factory cam. With a little searching you'll find very few people will recommend a different cam profile when running forced induction of any type.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I know I will have to sacrifice mpg's for performance, but if I was to add the cam, and bolt ons, AND the 4.10's...would be suicide, for a daily driver(not making enough money just yet). On the other hand I like my stock ratios, great highway acceleration. I'm going to start saving now, and in a few months I will to begin to shop, just getting excited about it.

Google Turbo Cam and you will find lots of info, the main thing they say is get a cam that will lift the valve 20-25% past its peak flow point. But I will prob just throw in a naturally aspirated performance cam for now, Turbo is just a future thought.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Magna Charger. I met a guy yesterday with a 03 Avalanche with the 5.3 and he had a super charger on it and it looked to be a easy and very clean install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts