GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..... I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to convert their engines to a propane/gas hybrid?
I have been looking at the possibility of doing this what with the sky high gas price, but I would still like to keep the option of going back to gasoline if I need the power. Anyone have any comments or ideas on this one???

Thanks
3XB

2001 Sierra with a 4.8L V8

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Yep, I've had two full propane burners and two Diesels with propane injection. I've also installed propane kits in a few other trucks.
Theres a wealth of knowledge on the web to be had by just googling "Propane power" or "Propane".
This shop has supplied 90% of the parts I've used for my propane conversions: http://www.gotpropane.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re:

Thanks for the info. I have gone to that website but they only convert carb engines, do you know if it can be done to a fuel injected 4.8L?

3XB

·
Registered
163 Posts
As a mechanic I have found that propane is hard on valves. I'm sure I worked on at least six rigs with badly burned valves. And I mean burned and warped.

·
1,457 Posts
I have a LPI propane injection the brand is Tartarini (I know Italian:neutral:) The engine always start on gasoline and drives on gasoline for the first Mile and then it switches to propane this is a good thing for the valves.The LPI computer communicates with the vehicle computer for better emissions.:great:

·
1,457 Posts
Where did you obtain that conversion kit if you don't mind me asking?

3XB
Where are you from?
I just went to a shop that sells LPI installations there are several brands BRC, TARTARINI, PRINS but they are all European brands :neutral:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Where are you from?
I just went to a shop that sells LPI installations there are several brands BRC, TARTARINI, PRINS but they are all European brands :neutral:
probably due to the fact of the oil companys in the US have too big of a hold ont he market which is why gas keeps going up and up and UP and UP

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Anyone else tried this or thought about this? I know a lot of folks are searching for this type of content.

·
Registered
296 Posts
A coworker of mine is getting the F-150 with the Rousch conversion, I guess it will cost $6500 for the conversion but there are tax benefits.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
A coworker of mine is getting the F-150 with the Rousch conversion, I guess it will cost $6500 for the conversion but there are tax benefits.
Federal tax benefits? Like I said the city of Kirkland, Washington converted a lot of city vehicles, including police cruizers to run on some type of compressed gas, that was nearly 20 years ago. It can be done, I wonder what the cost savings are?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
This is a popular topic on the search engines right now, anyone else think about a project like this?

·
1,457 Posts
That's very expensive:gasp: over here the most expensive Propane injection is $4000 all incl.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That's very expensive:gasp: over here the most expensive Propane injection is $4000 all incl.
What's your experience with Propane been overall? You like it for the most part?

·
1,457 Posts
I like it :money:, but you have less power than on regular gas.
The reason we run on propane is the price and the advantage of bi fuel. But it's possible to build an engine that has more power on propane than gas. higher compression, other advance system and so on.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Yep, a properly built propane specific engine will have more horsepower (about 15% more horsepower) than the same size gasoline engine, higher compression is key.
Propane has more BTU's gasoline when compared in equal amounts, and it burns cleaner with less carbon build up in the cylinders and crank case oils. You can actually run longer netween oil changes when running propane.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all..... I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to convert their engines to a propane/gas hybrid?
I have been looking at the possibility of doing this what with the sky high gas price, but I would still like to keep the option of going back to gasoline if I need the power. Anyone have any comments or ideas on this one???

Thanks
3XB

2001 Sierra with a 4.8L V8

I have been wondering the same thing I haven't been able to find a lot of information. Also, the HHO conversion-is that a scam? Bernie

·
Registered
269 Posts
How volitile is the Propane or CNG market compared to the gasoline or diesel market?

Also, I saw something on the news recently about someone getting a CNG vehicle and plugging it into their garage CNG port, as their house used CNG for heating and cooking anyhow. How cool would that be, but I'm not sure how safe it would be. I guess it's just a port like one that goes into your stove or hot water heater. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Is there any data on how much horsepower / MPG difference there is for a Propane Conversion?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts