GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is open to all, but I figure Peter will have the best answer. When the propane conversion kit is installed, is the gas/petrol system completely disabled, or is it setup in such a way that you can switch between the two. Most of the kit's I'm seeing look like they replace the existing Throttle body with a propane Throttle body.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I'm interested in knowing myself actually.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Re: Conversions

On the systems that i have had in the past the duel fuel systems keep the existing TBI and between the manifold ant the throttle body they install a spacer like a NOS fogger kit (stage 1) so the propane will remain in a mist longer then if over the injectors the system will allow perfect switches between the two fuels but be forworned that u will lose HP when on propane I looked ot this conversion but propane is'nt much cheeper up here.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
How much of a HP loss when running on Propane? 5% ... 10%?

·
Banned
35 Posts
looked it up hp loss could vary from 7 to 16 hp does'nt sound like much but you would probably notice it towing a trailer up a long hill.

·
1,457 Posts
Hi I will try to explain how mine Works.
The Suburban starts on Gasoline, when the engine runs it will switch over on propane.
You have to go for that kind of system otherwise the fuel system runs dry, and you going to have a lot of trouble when you want to drive on gasoline.
I have a simple system from Impco an atmospheric system not a gas injection.
You can count on 10 % loss of power and 10% more fuel consumption.
The gas injection system is better about 5% loss of power but more expensive.
I have to drive on propane around here; otherwise I can’t drive a Suburban I can’t afford it
Gasoline now cost $7 a gallon propane $1.17 do you know what I mean :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.