GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
30,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of hooking up a transmission cooler to my Traverse and I just got off the phone with a manager at one of the local transmission shops and he said that it was my truck and my money and he'll put in whatever I want, but he wanted to steer people away from a transmission cooler for several reasons.
  • First, they tend to leak and if a line blows from the extra pressure created from towing, then you're in a whole new world of hurt on the side of the road.
  • Second, it's a cheap substitute for proper cooling like getting the factory towing package and cooling systems.
  • Third, most of the stuff that is made for these types of transmission coolers are junk and they have cheap aluminum fins that break and/or bend easily.
  • Last, they just don't work all that well. Waste of money compared to the risk of being stranded and/or frying your transmission.
Thoughts? Discussion points? Argee or Disagree?

· Premium Member
30,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, good feedback. Let's keep the conversations coming in here.

· Premium Member
30,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to hear more from people who have had good experiences and those who have had bad experiences. Also, if you have an aftermarket unit, what did you get and how many trouble-free miles do you have on it? Also, what did it cost to get installed?

· Premium Member
30,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only downfall to running a cooler is it may cause extended shifting weirdness in cold temperatures until the trans warms up.

I've got a cheap small cooler on my Subaru Outback because I sit in heavy traffic every day...used off-the-roll generic tranny hose from the local parts house, have not had an issue in over 70k miles. I only added it because I already had the radiator out, and it was an easy addition (in other words: I don't know if it was even needed; it was simply a good time to install one).
That's good feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.