GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a 97 Z71 and it has a push button transfer case. i don't know much about them but from what i read on them there not that good. i had a truck the same year with a lever shift transfer and it just seams more reliable to me. what is your thoughts on the push button and can the transfer be switched the a lever?

thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have owned both. No diffrence in reliability in my opinion. I like the pushbutton,it seems to engage quicker.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Theres no reliability difference. Most older drivers that had manually shifted transfer cases prefer the manual case because it's what they learned how to drive on, they know it. I prefer a manually shifted case because it's familiar to me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I own a '97 2500 with the push button. Doesn't seem right to me either. I haven't found it any different then others I've owned. But I like the feeling of pulling back the lever over pushing a button. Must be a guy thing.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I agree. Pulling that level and hearing the clunk is my preference because then I know it engaged.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I agree. Pulling that level and hearing the clunk is my preference because then I know it engaged.
couldnt have said it better myself :great:

·
Registered
85 Posts
My old work truck is a 97 Z-71 with the push button and so far it has been problem free. No complaints.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my 94 z71 has a pull lever on the floor and i dig it. it looks more "off roady" IMO haha. only problem is i hate shifting into 4L because if you do it wrong you clash gears. other than that i prefer floor

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hate HATE push button. Ive owned several trucks with it and each one has given me problems. The 04 I have now constantly gives me a service 4wd message due to a loose wire in the wiring harness to the 4wd selector buttons.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I do not like push button at all & have had no luck! I had 3 Chevy trucks & all have had issue. Started with 97 yukon (motor), now my 2000 Tahoe (front axle actuator), and my 2005 Suburban (position sensor). Looking into making them manual so my damn 4x4 will work without costing me $200 every year.
My 1990 works everytime, just pull lever & lock hubs. Simple works!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I like the lever also. If something goes wrong with the shift linkage it is usually something I can rig up to get me home. I also like the fact that I can feel the gears engage when I pull back on the stick. There is little doubt whether or not it is engaged cause if it doesn't go in you will grind em a bit till it does engage.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Has anyone tried to make there push button truck to manual lever?

·
Registered
308 Posts
On push button you have a motor that works the shift forks..encoder and such TROUBLE to me.
Push button can be a lot of diagnostics . Shift on the floor simple set up.
Never have thought about it on the conversion..really don,t want too ..probably be cheaper to get a rebuilt lever case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 91 Silverado and had the actuator. Problem with those is they were thermal. Had to get hot to engage, run off in a snowbank or a mud hole and they unlock until they heat back up. I switched to the posi-lock and love it. I can run 4 Low with the front wheels unlocked and the steering doesn't bind. (Comes in handy on a wet boat ramp)

·
Registered
344 Posts
There is a electric motor on transfer case the turns a rod into side of transfer case, it has 3 positions, can use a 14mm.
On the front axles there is another electric motor that pushes a button in to lock & turns out to unlock, you dont need much pressure to lock it. There is a company that sells a bolt that screws in to keep front axle locked.
So I just need to make a lever to switch transfer case between 2x4 & 4x4(hi/Lo)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I like the floor lever. had it in my 2000 z71. current truck is push button, have had to replace actuator once so far.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
my dads 92 sierra is a floor shift. id rather have that then the button. however, the button is more user friendly for people nut used to 4x4s (my wife)

just push it and go. floor shift feels better to me.

just an opinion tho. can you even get a floor shift anymore? or did they do away with those in the NNBS? i once drove a 04 that had the floor shifter, but it was base work truck.

Alex

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I love my floor shift, but do like the auto 4WD option a little more convenient than taking it in and out of 4WD at stop lights and such in the winter time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts