GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I recently purchased a quadrasteer yukon xl 3/4 ton. I plan to use it as a overlanding rig. I was wondering if anyone on here has had experience lifting/ modifying the rear suspension on these trucks. to me it seems like the wiring harness for the steering is the only obstacle, but I dont know, so I am here to see what other's know. Would I be able to clear 37x12.5s if I put them on narrow wheels with a smaller offset?

2. along with lifting it a few inches, I would like to increase the fuel tank capacity. does anyone know a good brand for aftermarket fuel tanks for the 2000-06 3/4 ton SUVs? when i look only I only seem to find tanks for the truck counterparts. I figure they should be compatible, but again, I dont know.

3. not exactly a quadrasteer problem, but has anyone ever converted a hatchback tahoe/yukon/suburban/yukon xl to barn doors? if there is no easy way to do it, I like the way the excursion tailgate opens (glass opens up, and two half doors swing to the driver and passenger sides). If I end up doing either I will post pics in this thread. but any and all advice from y'all's experience is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Early recommendations were for a 3" suspension lift, because of the acute angles of the quadrasteer tie rods, that greater lifts would cause. That said, a few QS owners installed 6" suspension lift with no ill effects. IMHO, I would go the modest 3" suspension route. Skyjacker was one of a few used, with great results. Another forum friend had a 6" Pro-Comp bracket lift kit, with 35s and wanted to move up to 37s. I don't recall if he had or not, but with 35s and the Pro-Comp, he was extremely happy with it.

One of the measurements important for upsizing the tires, is the backspacing, because of the quadrasteer assembly. For rims without the rub, you'll want to keep 5"-5.25" backspacing, as opposed to the standard 4.5" backspacing that many of the lift kits require. The previous mentioned above with the 35s, uses the 5"-5.25" backspacing.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
man I dont think I would mess with this fragile and expensive system to fix. unless you have a parts truck sitting close by. how do you buy new parts? last time I looked simple parts were $1000's of dollars due to demand and lack of parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The parts drawing the most are QS specific. It isn't so much that the system is fragile, but users don't take the time to learn and the correct use of the QS system.

I've had my 2003 GMC Sierra Denali since 2005, which was a dealer vehicle with 22k miles. Now I've clicked about 163k and the system hasn't given me a single problem and that's with towing on occasion up to 10k. Regular maintenance is key and the development of this system was tested to military standards during development and said life is 300k. The 1 weak point of the system, which can be avoided by drivers, is water intrusion.

Overall I love the full package and lines of the SD. 6.0L, mechanical AWD, stout transfer case, with the icing of the QS. I've done a lot of improvements to the SD, but I'm going to be sad when I let her go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts