GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. I've tried to do a search, but found nothing.

I've a silverado 1500 1995, with manual T-Case. When I put the T-Case Lever on 4X4 (HI or LOW) nothing happens. I hear a little gear sound notify me that the T-Case is engaged, but no light comes on. and the truck stills on 2X4 mode even on low gear. I've check the 4WD and T-Case Fuse, and they are goods. I would like to know how the hubs works... or if somebody has an hint for me..

Thanks !

Sorry for my english, i'm from Quebec, Canada.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I'm guessing this is the old style 4x4 system with the auto locking hubs? They tend to gum up and stick once in a while. They can be removed and cleaned up or just get a new set of hubs. There should be 6 Torx head screws holding them on.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
sometimes it can just be the actuator sticking. Get under the front axle and tap it with a hammer. Sometimes this will fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Yea I have the same system in my truck and its auto locking hubs.... I have heard they tend to gum up but make sure you pull the lever hard I gotta really pull mine sometimes and the light will go on and it will engage

·
1,536 Posts
Bienvenue. Il faut excuser mon francais; je viens des etats-unis. ca fait seize ans que je suis au Quebec, et j'en ai oublie beaucoup.

Check the thermoelectric actuator on the front differential. A lot of people have trouble with those on the early '90's trucks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree, front diff actuator, the original ones were actuated by heating a gas and it would expand to lock the front diff. There is a updated one that you can get that is a stepper motor, you replace it and have to add a small wire harness that will connect to the transfercase wiring. This new style works alot better and the front diff locks instantly instead of having to wait for the gass to expand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so i've to remove this actuator , try to clean it, and if it don't work better, have to replace it... right ? I don't think it can be the wheel hub, cause the light don't turn on, so it's surely in the front diff.

I would like to have more info about the newer version of this motor.. (stepper motor) ??

Thanks a lot guys !!!

and Merci Mr. Shorty, tu restes présentement au Quebec ?b

·
1,536 Posts
and Merci Mr. Shorty, tu restes présentement au Quebec ?b
Non, j'ai ecrit incorrectement. Je restai au Quebec '90-'92. J'habite aux Etats-Unis presentement

There's also a cable operated font diff actuator. I think it goes by Posi-lock or something like that. A lot of people seem to like that option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts