GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me here. Yesterday I purchased a '03 Silverado 1500 V8 4.8 liter 4x4, and am wondering if maybe I should of went with at least the 5.3 l for towing a 2 horse Bumper pull. Has anyone used this setup for this type of towing? I'm wondering if I should contact the dealer tomorrow to look into the same type of truck with the 6.0 l? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Theresa

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I'm guessing your not going to be pulling the horse trailer all the time. You'll get a little better fuel mileage with the 4.8 vice the 5.3 and a lot better fuel mileage over the 6.0. The 4.8 may not have as much power as either of those engines but dont count it out, those engines are great for towing and driving unloaded. Most trucks log the majority of their mileage unloaded making local trips. Unless your hauling Clydesdales I think you'll be o.k. with the 4.8, the fuel and purchase price you save will be well worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim for the reponse. I've been bogged down this w/e concerned over the purchase without actually enjoying the truck! This was mainly purchased for the trailer as my second vehicle. I will probably use it more for errands since it is much nicer than my former truck. With my old truck ('94 Cheyenne 2500) , I was lucky if I even put 3,000 miles on it, over a 6 year period. Because of it's main purpose, I was mainly looking for something good enough to do the job without getting too carried away. In terms of towing, I would mainly be using it 2-4 times per month from April to October to travel within the state of MD to local shows, and mostly with one horse. After comparing notes w/ other truck owners who tow, I was worried that maybe I would be putting too much stress on the engine since everyone else has at least the 5.3, and I would not have much longevity with it. Thanks again for your reply!
Theresa

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Not sure myself of the towing capabilities of the 4.8.

I have a 94 Burb with the 5.7 and at hills with 2 horses it is working it’s ass off. Very little power in the hills.

I am looking at the horse power difference between the 2 motors right now and that may be the deciding factor. The newer trucks have a little bit more HP than my 94 so who knows you may have made the right choice but let me get back to you when I find out the difference between the 2.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I have a 95 with the 5.7 and it is rated at 200 horse and 300 torque... I think the new 4.8L is now rated at 295 horse and 305 torque... the 5.3 is rated at 315 horse and 338 torque... so basically there really is not that much power difference between the new 4.8 and 5.3 engines. I think you should be ok with your 4.8L

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have a 95 with the 5.7 and it is rated at 200 horse and 300 torque... I think the new 4.8L is now rated at 295 horse and 305 torque... the 5.3 is rated at 315 horse and 338 torque... so basically there really is not that much power difference between the new 4.8 and 5.3 engines. I think you should be ok with your 4.8L
What gets me is that the newer engines are getting more HP with better (or the same) fuel economy. ;-)

·
Registered
296 Posts
You could get a programmer and set it up for power when towing and when using to run errands set it at an economy mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 1999 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8 and I've used it many times to tow a 24 foot aluminum double axle trailer with a full size running pickup on it about 5,000 lbs just for the truck alone I'm not sure what the weight of the trailer is. And I've had no problems with lack of power. I even cruised easily at about 80mph on the free way with that load and had no problems passing cars in town with the load. I'm sure you will find yourself very happy with the 4.8 especially with todays gas prices. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been interested in the towing capacities of the 4.8 as well, since that's what I have.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i think you towing issue would be is it within the bumper towing rate? I got a I6 and it tows no issues---somewhat slow but no issues. the law in CA says can not exceed 55 with a trailer so no issues. i might change to a reciver type of hith system and the normal go better things air filter, headers, tranny and oil coolers and inprove the stopping features....mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts