GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, my front passenger side door's locks aren't working correctly, and I hope to tear into that door soon. Does anyone have any tutorial, video, or any other helpful information regarding the Suburban's locking system? I am concerned about taking the door cover off, as on some cars you can break little trim pieces holding things on if you're not careful.
Any help and advice is GREATLY appreciated, thanks so much in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Those are pretty straight forward. Look for some screws behind the pull straps, the handle cup and the other pull handle area. If you go to your favorite auto parts store, they should be able to sell you a tool that is used for removing door and trim panels (something like this http://www.technologylk.com/product_view.aspx?&source_ID=nextag&product_ID=3147 )

Once you have removed all of the screws and popped out the clips around the perimeter of the panel, you should be able to lift it up to remove it from the door. Watch for any wires that may be connected to switches, speakers, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
OK, here we go....

Just recently on my '91 Sub, I had a similar problem. The lock didn't work. Turns out, the clip that holds all the different locking methods together broke and allowed the manual lift "button" to slide out of position and kill the locking mechanism. 2 bucks and a couple hours of fussing with it got it fixed. When that occurs, neither the manual lift button or power locks will work, since the button ties the power locks into the lock mechanism. Only the outside key will work in this case. Now, to get to all this, you have to pull the inner door skin off. This was fairly straightforward and easy for me. 2 screws in the armrest, 4 or so along the bottom of the upper skin, 2 or so on the sides, 2 big torx bolts for the pull handle near the top (dont remember the torx size...somewhere around a T30 sounds right...) and messing with the panel where it makes the curve at the top of the windows. The top of the panel is very tight and doesn't want to release, so that's the issue there. It appears that the clip is a fairly weak part, and if it lets go, the rod could possibly work its way out just enough to make the power lock not work, since the lock motor just engages the tip of the lock rod. I hope this helps with your endeavor to repair the lock

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem with my driver side door. Sometimes the power lock works. When it does not, I cannot even pull the lock manually. Thus, I have to get in and out through the passenger door. I have not tackle this issue yet but will soon. Please let me know what was wrong and how you repaired the doors.

Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks so much, folks, for your detailed advice and help. If I get all of my other repairs done on Saturday, I think I'll hit this door on Sunday. I will use your explanation and procedures as I tackle this lock thing and see what happens. I really hate getting inside of doors as there is never much room in which to work, there are a lot of sharp edges and places for small pieces to get lost, but I hope to get this door licked before we take a holiday trip soon.

By the way, if I do succeed to get the door cover on and get into the door, are their any preventative maintenance tasks that I can do while in there? Any thing that I can lubricate (like with white lithium grease), any thing else to look out for while I have the door taken apart? Thanks again for your help!

Thanks so much again, and hopefully I'll let you know how things worked!

·
Registered
561 Posts
expect to bust a few of the clips, most auto parts store sell spares in the Help or Doorman section. clean and regrease the window trucks and vaccum out the door bottoms of all the ditrt and junk and verify the drain holes are clear......mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, folks, here is the long and the short of the door repair. I tore into the front passenger door and discovered that I had lost what the LMC truck catalog calls the lock rod, as well as a little clip that is used to clip it to the actuator and lock mechanism. This is a rather long rod that goes from the electric lock actuator, through the lock mechanism, then up through the door skin, onto which screws the door lock knob(the little black round knob that you use to manually lock the doors).
No dealer in the Houston TX area carries these items any more, so it is off to the junk yard to find them. I do, however, have a work around temporarily. I will use a wire tie to connect the actuator to the door lock mechanism, and although I won't be able to lock and unlock the door manually, I don't need to, as the alarm system and automatic locks still work fine. I thought you all might like to know, and by the way, you need a Torx size 20 screwdriver bit to take off the door strap handle.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
LMC Truck doesn't sell the passenger side lock rod, as I found out :| Your local chevy dealer will probably have the clip I talked about before, which is what you need. I can't believe you actually lost the lock rod, it should have just fallen into the door somewhere. The clip is easily replaceable off the lock rod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I probed around the bottom of the door, with a magnetic extension, attempting to find it, but I don't know what could have happened to it. I didn't ask the dealer about the clip, as he didn't have the lock rod, and I don't have much time over the next couple of days to fool with it, so I'll scour a local junk yard for these parts, and hopefully will find them. There should be a lot of Suburbans out there, but I found that most folks want to sell the whole lock mechanism, which I don't need. I'll look around the bottom of the door one more time, but I may just have to wire tie the actuator to the lock for the mean time. Thanks, Crawdaddy, for your reply!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, folks, I just finished buttoning up the front passenger door of the Suburban. I sprayed white lithium grease liberally on all the door lock mechanism, which really freed things up, but I wanted to let you know how I temporarily fixed the situation. Since I couldn't find the passenger side lock rod at a dealer (they say it has been discontinued and they don't have any), and I didn't have time to look for one at a junk yard, I ended up connecting the lock mechanism to the hole in the actuator with two plastic wire ties. This will probably be stronger than the original rod/clip arrangement, and will have to do until I get off for the Christmas holidays and have time to look around in a junk yard for the right parts. If you need to get your lock working in a hurry, this will work for you as well! While I was in there, I did lubricate the part of the window track that I could get to, and will do a more thorough job the next time that I tear into it (after I have found the right parts). I thought those of you who are having door/lock issues might want to know how simple this fix is. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts