GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've searched on here, but can't get the specific information I need.

I'm headed over to my parents house tomorrow to do a little work on their Suburban. It has the 5.3L V8.

I'm planning on just doing a couple of easy things such as Seafoam and cleaning the throttle body.

Which line is best to use on these Suburbans for the Seafoam? Some places say the brake booster, but from what I understand a lot of times that just directs the Seafoam to 1-2 cylinders. Pictures of this hose and where it is located would be great.

Also what all is involved in getting to the throttle body? Just taking off the air intake tube? Anything in particular to watch out for?

The throttle bodies on these are by wire and not by cable right?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
If there 'Burb is '03 and later there fly-by-wire. I like to remove the throttlebody so I can clean both sides with a soft toothbrush and spray Seafoam. First remove the intake tube, then theres a coolant hose that runs in/out on the bottom of the t/body, just remove these(some coolant will drain out), remove the 3 10mm nuts that hold the t/body on and start cleaning. Its easy to do just take your time. As far as cleaning the engine I like to put a can in the gas tank, Seafoam makes a spray can with a hose that fits in the throttlebody and you run the engine while its spraying and this cleans the intake manifold and the engine. If you go to Seafoams website theres a video on how to spray the intake through the t/body. Also after the cleaning and some driving its a good idea to change the oil as alot of the old carbon, sludge, etc.. gets in the oil.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
very good info I am also about to do this to my 08 Avalanche... Thanks...

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Your welcome Enkeiavalanche.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If there 'Burb is '03 and later there fly-by-wire. I like to remove the throttlebody so I can clean both sides with a soft toothbrush and spray Seafoam. First remove the intake tube, then theres a coolant hose that runs in/out on the bottom of the t/body, just remove these(some coolant will drain out), remove the 3 10mm nuts that hold the t/body on and start cleaning. Its easy to do just take your time. As far as cleaning the engine I like to put a can in the gas tank, Seafoam makes a spray can with a hose that fits in the throttlebody and you run the engine while its spraying and this cleans the intake manifold and the engine. If you go to Seafoams website theres a video on how to spray the intake through the t/body. Also after the cleaning and some driving its a good idea to change the oil as alot of the old carbon, sludge, etc.. gets in the oil.
Thanks for the reply man. It actually is a 2003.

The can of Seafoam I have isn't the spray type. It just has the uncompressed liquid.

You think it works better in the gas rather than through the vacuum lines?

Is there a certain line going to the throttle body that I should use?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Adding Seafoam to the fuel, it cleans the gas tank, fuel lines, injectors and the combustion chamber. Using the hose and spray can cleans the intake and the top of the valves. Then removing the throttlebody lets you clean both sides. If you don't remove the throttlebody and just spray the cleaner into the throttlebody while its open it just doesn't clean all the carbon off the backside of the T/body. Did you go to there website and watch all the videos? There good "how to" info.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Sorry I didn't mention you need the spray can with hose for the intake manifold and throttlebody and the uncompressed can that you have to add to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah man. I did it to my 4Runner earlier through the PCV hose. Worked really well.

I just want to make sure I use the right hose on the Suburban. I'll just look for one coming off of the throttle body.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Theres no vaccuum hose coming of the throttlebody.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Let me know how it works for you and how soon you notice the differance...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Preparing for my 100k mile tune-up I put Seafoam in the oil and gas tank. I've used it plenty before with a few negative results. Previously the oil sludge the Seafoam broke free clogged the VTEC filter on my Honda. I didn't expect any drawbacks in the Suburban though. After two days (40 miles) it started up with one of the valves stuck and just clanging away. I spent this morning putting in new plugs and wires with fresh oil. It cured the sticking valve and no further trouble. Just wanted to add my $.02 on Seafoam. I'll continue to use as I've not seen anything work as well. I hear BG products are the best but they're 2.5 times the cost of Seafoam. For future Seafoam users I'd recommend using Seafoam intermittently and not waiting to 100k miles like I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts