GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, truck guys, I have a question. Can some one tell me what is better for towing if you have a level kit. Add a leaf or Rear blocks to prevent the nose up appearance when towing say a camper?

New Camper.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would think add-a-leaf would be best. The added springs would help to take some of the weight of the trailer and with more leaves, less stress would be placed on each individual leaf.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I am beginning to think thats the way to go. I really only want a max lift of 3/4- 1 inch. As it is I am 1/2 inch higher in the front, so more than that would put me right back where I was before the level kit. I am not getting bigger tires any time soon. Any brand recommendations?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Add A Leaf, blocks tend to torque on the springs and with the added stress of towing this would get worse causing the springs to prematurely wear and end up sagging.
Have you thought about shocks with helper coils?
Add A Leaf will lift the rear of the truck some and stiffen the ride, shocks with helper coils should keep it level and maintain the ride a little better.
Or if $$ isnt a factor you could go with an air bag system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need a WD hitch there buddy. There should be no weight taken off the front axle when towing. This changes the geometry of all the suspension components, not allowing them to work correctly. You loose steering capability (less tire contact). What is the TW of that trailer? I'm assuming you have the bed loaded down quite a bit also. Neither an AAL or block will help you in this situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts