GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. I would appreciate any help anyone can give. I have a 99' chevy suburban and it has been acting up. When you press the gas pedal to go from a stop it gets up to 3000 RPMs and doesn't want to shift until you let up off the gas a bit and so on. Now it isn't like I am running the heck out of it, I just simply want to get up to speed from a stop. We have changed the fuel filter, plug wires and cap. Still have the problem. We know it isn't the transmission. Any thought?

gsjcb :)

G

·
0 Posts
Any engine problems? Does the engine tend to race at idle?

It's probably either your shift solenoid or the throttle position sensor.
Does the engine hesitate, or act up when you step on the gas?
Is your Check engine light on?

How many miles do you have on it?

I would say test the throttle position sensor, it's the least expensive way to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine seems to run fine. No check engine light. It almost seems like you have it in neutral when you punch the gas. Now if I take it easy and baby it, it doesn't act up as bad and will shift quicker than if I stood on the gas. It has almost 83000 miles. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
sounds like trans to me. why do you know its not trany?

·
1,457 Posts
Sounds like a transmission problem, maybe the torque converter or a valve that can't handle the pressure :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
if you pull the trany dipstick out to check the fluid level smell the fluid on the stick. if it smells like roasted almounds your clutches are burnt. if it doesnt then its probably the shift selenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We ended up taking it to a shop, found out it is the fuel pump--was only getting up to like 50 on the pressure, guess thats not enough to supply. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Ahh, fuel pumps are a lot of fun! Espeically when they go out on you. :) I've been stranded once from a bad fuel pump before. Not fun.

G

·
0 Posts
I figure when the time comes, I'll cut a small hatch into the cargo area to get access to the pump. If I can help it, I'm not going to drop the tank. Been down that road with fuel pumps with other vehicles....don't like it one bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.