GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, im having a difficult time deciding so i figured i would try and get some other Silverado drivers opinions on the subject. Ive got a 2010 Silverado and Im wanting to put a new set of wheels on it. I really like the KMC Hoss and the KMC addict (or the rockstars, but it seems everybody has those now). All i have so far is a leveling kit. As far as the size is what im having difficulties with. I know when it comes to wheels a lot of people say bigger is better but i dont want to get a wheel too big to be able to put a decent amount of tire on the truck. If i got the 18s and decided later on to lift the truck, would the wheels look too small? just looking for some opinions and perhaps a few pictures if anybody has one lifted on 18s....

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

I also just thought of one more question, what would be some recommendations on the backspacing considering it is basically a "stock" suspension truck?

·
Registered
539 Posts
In my opinion 18" still look good with lifted trucks, all those rim choices are nice too

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jb. Ive just always seen 20"s and up on lifted stuff and not exactly sure how 18s look. But thanks for the input!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like the look of 20s but you have to consider the cost of tires of you are going to be changing be buying another set when/if you lift it. If you are going to be lifting it soon, just roll with 18s.

-JJ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for the input man, i figure it doesnt look too bad with 18s as it sits right now. so i could always just go with 18s and put my factory tires on til they wear out haha. itll be a while before i lift it tho so ive got some time to think about it. Do you have an input on backspacing for the KMC Hoss wheels? if im not mistaken, the lower the number the farther the wheels sits outside the wheel well?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
If the lift is not too far down the road I would research what backspacing and offset the lift requires and go from there. As far as 18's on a lifted truck I think they look great. I am not a big fan of 20's just my $0.02 I think some 18x9 KMC's would be perfect. Might want to start looking at about 4.75" backspace.

·
Registered
992 Posts
18's will be fine with a lift im running 20's now on mine normally with a a 6" lift some companys reccomend running a 5.5" back spaccing i wouldnt run that big of a back space if your going to be running just a leveling kit cause you will have some major rubbing. When i put my tires i ran a 0 offset with a levling kit and it was fine even when i went with my 6" fabtech lift. I even bought a set of 1.5" wheel spacer if i wanted my wheels out more in the summer.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am also not a fan of 20's. The reason is if you are going to ride any trails or anything like that the rim is bigger which leads to a bigger target for rocks. If you go with a smaller rim (say an 18 or 17) than the rim is further away from the rocks. Also I like a thinner rim, because the rim sets back into the tire a little for the same reason. I probably haven't explained it very well. If you take a wider rim with a tire and place a straight edge from the upper part of the tire and run it across the rim to the bottom side of the tire the straight edge will hit the rim. If you do the same thing with a smaller width rim and the same exact tire you will not hit the rim. Another suggestion would be to run the stock rims for now and use the money for the lift now. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I prefer the look of 20's. I almost went with 18's for my truck because of all the reasons above, but I took the plunge and I have no regrets. I know that I would've regretted getting 18's. As far as backspacing goes, you definately do not want anything less than 5". 5.5" - 5.7" is ideal and relatively close to stock. Most wheels deal more in offset, so you will want something in the +18 range. These newer trucks "like" a positive offset and the further you push those tires out, the more they will rub. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I think if you USE your truck off-road than 17" or 18" so if you have to lower tire pressure. If you mostly have a lifted STREET truck than 20" are fine.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It really is a matter of opinion. Personally, I prefer less wheel and more tire. As such, I would go with an 18" wheel in your situation. I've seen plenty of lifted trucks with 18" wheels that looked great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts