GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a 2004 Silverado. It's a good price. It is loaded with bells and whistles. The price is 15991.00. It has 77000 miles. I know that is a lot of miles for a 3 yr old truck, but I am on a limited budget. My question is this. Is the vortec engine reliable enough or is this to many miles for me to buy this truck. I put about 18000 a year on a truck myself

·
Registered
269 Posts
Need more information to determine if it's a good value, becuase there are a LOT of options that can affect value, etc.

Above everthing else, get a mechanic to take a look at it. I know that it's an upfront expense, but when you buy a house you spend $250 to get it inspected. When you buy a car you should get it inspected as well by a good mechanic that you trust.

Beyond that, have you gone to www.KBB.com (kelly blue book) to see what that book recommends for all of the options that you have listed? Check trade-in, private party and dealer rates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done the kbb and nada thing. It is under book. I am curious about the reliability of the vortec engine

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Overall the Vortec series of engines has a good reputation for reliability. At 77k I wouldn't worry about much as long as the vehicle has been maintained properly.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
My opinion

Like the others have said, get someone to look it over real well before you buy it. With that said, My 1999 Suburban had 113000 on it when I turned it in and it ran just as good as it did from day one. Oil changes and scheduled maint. on time, everytime!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I traded my 2005 2500HD LT 4x4 two years after I bought it, it had 16,000 trouble free miles on the 6.0 V-8. The dealer gave me what I owed on it $20,000, I just wanted out of the payments. I had every available option on it, and I couldn't get any takers on that truck even with the low mileage!:gasp:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Agreed on it's reliability. Though I can't speak from personal experience, it seems to be a good enough engine that lasts as long as expected. It won't be winning any medals for longevity, but it's not one of the 100k max engines at all. I would get as much back-ground information as I could (not that what you're told is accurate anyway..but you'll get some idea) and if you have the cash to put down, I'd take it in to have it gone through if you feel so inclined - compression test and all.

Good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
That sounds kinda high. You can get a brand new one down here for little less than 20k:great:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Never know.. it could be lifted with swamper tires, have a lightbar, winch, bullbar, computer-controlled entertainment system with a tailgate BBQ setup...

..I think he was more interested in knowing about reliability rather than if he's getting a good deal. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
As far as the motor being good , thats not alot of miles on it but what size motor is it? Ansd as far as buying a new one for 20,000 you did not leave enough info for anybody to tell you that you can get a new one for that price.

·
Registered
137 Posts
well, that's an old GM toute - reliable ENGINES. indeed, engines are reliable.
except that you are not buying engine. you buying the rest of it around engine too - and that is not by any means. it is very easy to fall under the lure of blows and whistles, and get a money pit when all of them start dying on you one by one. i said that before and will repeat this again - I own 2000 Silverado with everything best options wise for the year, and in not even 2 yrs of ownership, I had more repairs done on it than on 3 mitsubishes, toyota, 2 hondas, and lexus combined, through some 10 yrs of ownership.
Caveat emptor.

also, if you are on a tight budget, go to local craigslist. trucks have been selling there for peanuts lately.

Of course, no one sells good cars. Good cars are rare and are keepers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts